Underwater Rov simulator

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
lyap

Underwater Rov simulator

Post by lyap »

Hello everybody,
I'm a complete newbie of irrlicht but before I start playing with it I would like to know if it is the right program for my needs.
I would like to develop an underwater rov simulator, or at least something to move a robot and a target into it.
My aim is to simulate the robot's movement, retrieve it's coordinates somehow and send them to a custom build hardware board (to set for example a route) trought canbus or rs232 and then back to irrlicht.
Are irrlich + a physical simulator the right tools I need?
Does something like it already exist?
I tried serching the forum but I didn't find anything.
Many thanks to everybody who will answer. :)
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

I think Irrlicht alone would be fine for this, if you get your ROV model with a skeleton in it, you can set the joint angles yourself through the Irrlicht API and animate your model procedurally though your code.

I don't think you would need a physics engine unless you wanted the model to interact with its environment automatically.

I have done some very simple bone animations from FreeBasic with my IrrlichtWrapper to test the concept and they seam to work well.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Irrlicht will be fine for the visualisation part. Whether you need a physics engine depends on whether part of the goal is to model buoyancy, water resistance and other physical effects. If so, then you may want to choose a physics engine and an appropriate dataset first, and then pick a visualisation solution later.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
aboeing

Post by aboeing »

lyap

Post by lyap »

Thank you all for your help!
I think I'm going to take a look to subsim first, and in case I will explore the irrlicht world, which seems very fascinating.