Team for Game Developement

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Alpha Omega

Team for Game Developement

Post by Alpha Omega »

Hey I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to build a project. I am just getting started on the Irrlicht engine but so far things are going pretty smoothly. We have an xfire group up and were prolly getting a vent channel in the soon future. So if anyone with experience would like to lend a helping hand or any beginners that would like to learn with us all your company is very welcome. If you have xfire you can post it and ill add you to the group or apply to =Full of Fail= Game Developers.

Cheers!
JP

Post by JP »

Not that i'm offering to join you, as i'm too busy, but you'd be better off giving a bit more info on what projects you propose to do!
Image Image Image
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

I was thinking about making a game intregrated over Raknet using Opengl but as for anything more specific than that I would like to keep it open for discussion.

However my personal ideas are to make a game with a fused first person and third person RPG something similar to Darkfall but with more features. Also I thought it would be a good idea to develope the game over the Raknet engine (or anyother networking engine) so even people that dont have experience in coding can contribute (such as making models or textures.)

Basically the team wouldn't be of the highest priority but keeping it somewhat casual, and allowing everyone to learn and develope some new skills.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Alpha Omega wrote: Basically the team wouldn't be of the highest priority but keeping it somewhat casual, and allowing everyone to learn and develope some new skills.
I personally think that by doing all the stuff by my own I can learn more than joining a team.

Anyway I think the information given is still insufficient to get people interested in your project.
Intangir

Post by Intangir »

Virion wrote:
Alpha Omega wrote: Basically the team wouldn't be of the highest priority but keeping it somewhat casual, and allowing everyone to learn and develope some new skills.
I personally think that by doing all the stuff by my own I can learn more than joining a team.

Anyway I think the information given is still insufficient to get people interested in your project.
Definately not true.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

I'm glad you've had some interest, but the more effort you put into your promotion, the more likely you are to recruit stronger assets.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Intangir

Post by Intangir »

My friends and I are interested in this but have some questions/conditions. We don't want any power trippy/bossy types. What style will the game be? Are we keeping the game open source? That would be preferred. We're looking to make a game/game creation tool that's open source so people can easily create new games and host them and expand on them as long as they can supply graphics etc.

As for the game features we want:

No leveling; Attributes and skills only.

No dumb requirements to equip items other than being able to pick up. Special "magical" items may have requirements such as that you not be an evil bastard if the sword is charged with "good" energy.

Live action, player controlled attacks and movements etc. Though I have considered the option to have a more classic MMORPG style system for some servers, with automated fighting systems and such for less "able" players.

Reasonable item drops and stuff that atleast makes some sort of sense. E.G. a bug or rat will not drop gold and plate armors but you may use their corpses to craft or sell them for money.

Quite a bit like Darkfall though I've wanted these features years before I heard of the game.

Tons of ideas besides these few examples.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Well as for game features I had alot of ideas that I would like to implement. I want to build a first person hack and slash that relies on battle stragedy like battleformations/phalanx's. I wanted to emphasize the multiplayer experience in the game by making a game that supported a hardcore multiplayer option and fused it with elements not normally associated with a first person game. Also no leveling or stupid questing, that is just a horrible idea in general. I want the game to feel like an RTS where the player feels like he has total control over a situation. I want the physics in the game in be phenomenal like having armor on a character that isnt binded to him and if the character falls all his armor has the ability to fall off and in which other people would be able to jack all his good gear, I believe classic rules present in most games restrict people to only a small area of the game, and personally I believe undermining your opponents should be allowed to the highest degree. Thats how I personally feel about the game. If you want to have a more in-depth discussion just PM me and I will be glad to throw some ideas around with you.