Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO No more infoarchitectureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<- has a trouble with infoarchitecture due to a past work

XD nice, specially for a realtime rendering! :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

I wonder how the textures were set-up. Was there a specular map in there, aside from the diffuse?
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

all were just diffuse. i dont know how specular. but i set shininess in irredit to some value
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

mk.1 wrote:You should really place the forks 180° rotated - nobody would place them like this.
Some kind of specular on the glasses?
Everything else looks very nice. I especially like the vases
thanks! the glasses were just add-color (and the diffuse color is gray) and i place some shininess in irredit.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Well specular maps are mainly used with shaders. (I don't know if you can do them with the fixed-function pipeline.)

The concept is what you are doing already, with the shininess value, but instead setting the shininess value per-pixel in a texture map that is used with the model. This helps to simulate lighting more realistically. So take the formula:

Code: Select all

finalSpec = materialSpec * lightSpec * ( reflectLightVec dot viewVec ) ^ F
where the value of 'R dot E' is clamped to [0.0,1.0] with a maximum comparison. Most of the values are self-explanatory. R is the reflection of the light vector around the normal while E is the view vector (from the camera).

At any rate, a specular map sets the value of 'F' per-pixel, which is the shininess. So you would sample from a map like:

Code: Select all

F = tex2D(specularMap, pos);
and use that value.

I hope that explanation helps you a little bit in understanding specular maps.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

jontan6: I saw the rendered image and here is my say on that. It's really hard to tell if that render is from Irrlicht. You have to be pretty good at SSAO to get that self-shadowing in there, unless you stored them in a texture somewhere. I would imagine the textures were baked including the lights and shadows. Plus you'd need at least 5 passes to get that fine gradient.

Anyway, please accept my apology if I have doubted the render.
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

no need apology :D my fault, now i realize, the room is quake BSP. sorry i forgot that. that is why there is shadows. but the objects are just normal .obj with diffuse map. the shininness that it has circle something light on the ref, that is because the ref is too high poly. im just lazy to study how to make that effect using shaders and i have control on the hardware used.
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

thanks for the explanation halifax. but it still dont sink in to my brain. maybe i need to study some basic shader first, cuz i dont have background. :D
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

If you don't want to use shaders, you can still use EMT_RELFECTION_2_LAYER with an appropriate map as reflection map. It can make you a nice Phong-like effect, without any complexity, the drawback, of course, its that it is not realistic. But in some context, it can be good enough to make the deal.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

can that be done in 3dsmax and just export and load in irrlicht?
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

It can be done, indeed.

For a cubeMap

1- Set your stage
2- create the object where you want to get the reflections from
3- In the lights of your stage, place an halo, so the render shows a fuzzy spot of light where the lights are suposed to be
4- create a material for it with a reflect/refract map in the reflection slot
5- Set the paramters "From File" to enable the six slots below, and give a proper resolition in SIZE, perhaps 256 or 512.
6- Click on the Render Cubic Map Files and give a name for it
7- pick the object you wanted the reflections for, and wait for the cubic maps to be rendered.

For a Sphere Environment Map

1- Set your stage
2- In the lights of your stage, place an halo, so the render shows a fuzzy spot of light where the lights are suposed to be, this is to make the lights visible. It is an important point :)
3- place a Camera where you want the reflections to be taken from
4- when you're done with that, go to the Utility pannel, and open "More..."
5- click on "Panorama Exporter" and there, click on "Render"
6- Choose the resolution you want, perhaps 512x256
7-Render it.
8- It opens the Panorama Render Viewer, there, you have the menu File, there you choose "Export->Export Sphere"

And you're done.

You can use the Export Sphere generated map directly in Irrlicht, but the cubic environment maps aren't suported (still?) in Irrlicht without shaders. I hope this works well for you.
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

thanks mel! ill try that in the next project!
Sollos

Post by Sollos »

I spent a lot of hours today working on my game, and finally feel as if I have something to show.

I know it's extremely rough and ugly, but I love it for all the time I've spent into it.
Last edited by Sollos on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lucifer1101

Post by lucifer1101 »

i love it too, good job although as you said it is a bit shabby, but that can be fixed easy by changing the textures.

is this a functioning system with the health and ammo
Sollos

Post by Sollos »

lucifer1101 wrote:i love it too, good job although as you said it is a bit shabby, but that can be fixed easy by changing the textures.

is this a functioning system with the health and ammo
Yes. Except there isn't anything currently in the game to take health away, nor can you shoot the gun yet to deplete your ammo.