Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

yes maybe they should be more smooth, i just meant that it's not that which causes the plasticity
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

As per Mel's request, I tried adding a little fresnal:

I also tried a little white-peak on the waves, but it looks pretty crap IMHO (Especially in the distance):

Heres a video if you want to see it in action (Yeah I know the quality sucks, get over it or donate me a faster CPU): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3FKWAJ-5sg
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

The thing is the white you'll see will not be much of a transition but more a direct cut, like blue-blue-blue-blue-blue-white
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Nice! I think it looks better, The white peaks are sharper, as people say here, but using a sine form won't get pointy enough so that effect could be really visible. Such mounds of water are too "soft" to get a good source for water foam. I think a good formula to get pointy sources could be perhaps 1-(abs(sin(x))), mixed with a soft source of waves, and randomized enough for it not to have a periodic look. I'm not sure (i've just thought of it...) but i think that could lead to a better ocean surface. But it has a nice look! :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I think a good formula to get pointy sources could be perhaps 1-(abs(sin(x))), mixed with a soft source of waves, and randomized enough for it not to have a periodic look.
Great ideas guys, keep em coming:

I took a short video of this too, make sure to watch it before commenting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fWolM9l8qE

I have to say though that anything "pointy" is currently an implementation problem, it doesn't look that bad in this case but if you look closely you can see that a much higher amount of vertices is needed to render this flawlessly because of the sudden change in shape at the wave tops. Currently this water is similar to the "blanket terrain" idea, a highly detailed grid mesh follows the camera around and the vertices jiggle up and down based on their height function in accordance with the world space position. Currently the water demo reports ~290,000 prims drawn (When viewing from a distant birds eye view).

The "jiggling" effect can become noticable when trying to render something that is too complex for the amount of vertices available, in this case the sharp peak at the top of the waves. If you look at the blanket terrain demo on my site and play around with the Z/X keys you can see this artifact in action as you move the camera around.
Mel wrote:I'm trying to build a small, quick "Predator/ normal refracted water" effect.
Ah, I almost missed this, have you had a look here? Check out the dwarf.
Last edited by BlindSide on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

it's getting better now. :D
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

It definitely improved by a huge leap. But it's still missing this "teeth" effect you see often on the ocean, where a row of small pyramidal waves will move on top of a much bigger wave.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Dude that water is gorgeous! I love how people nit pick at your work :)
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

It is looking great. :) I won't say any more, the rest is practically tunning and maybe modifying the source of the waves. I tried a predator like effect on my own, using your RTTs in Xeffects, but it happened that the rest of the image went away, it could only be seen the cube background, like if the rest of the geometry wasn't visible through the refractive surface, And using my own RTTs would disable Xeffects, Anyway, i'll take a peek to what you've posted there, Blindside.

Also, i'm doing a small "fake" Sub Surface Scattering effect.

The effect can only be seen when watching the source of light through the object with the SSS, and what you see is a mix between the SSS texture and the colur of the light.

It uses an image to simulate the interior of the object, but i think i still have to tune it better.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

You nailed the fresnel effect, right on the money. Though somehow I can't figure the scattering in there.

Have you tried the three normals for the diffuse? I think you can do that with what you have now.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Maybe it looks like fresnel because of the 2 oposed light sources, but the images won't make the effect any justice. In motion it gets a bit better, but also, it is a fast effect. The idea is to see like if the light was going through the object. I'll try to make a good video, and show it :)
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

Looks great guys... Wish I knew how to make shaders and things of the like so I could join you but for now I will sit on the side lines and watch and learn.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Nice work Blindside and mel.
Your ocean could be improved allot by using photo-sourced textures for the wake and fragment shader normal map. I think the code you have is all that is needed, you just need some nice art, thats why mel's screens look nice. Find me a nice ocean texture that you want to use and ill make you a normal map and AO map :wink:. I ported Insane bump back to linux and i might make a deb as there are a few linux users here. I also improved AO generation allot.
here are some screens (parallax mapping with AO, no specular)
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

owh mahhh goddd you guys are insane! :shock: good job omaremad that's pretty cooool.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

That first image looks insanely cool! Really good work.
Damn, I really need to get into graphics programming as well ..