Using lights in Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Mazer

Using lights in Irrlicht

Post by Mazer »

I tried messing around with the lights a bit, looking at the SpecialFX tutorial and the API, and I was wondering if it's possible to control the range of the light. I mean, is it possible to have a light for which the strength of light cast on an object depends on it's distance to the source? (ie, far away mesh should be darker than close up mesh).

It seems there's only an option for the energy of the light source but the distance to the light makes no difference.
c_olin3404

Post by c_olin3404 »

In the SpecialFX tutorial the intesity of the lighting is set WAY to high. try setting the intesity at about 20, or 40.
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Thanks, that's much better.

But why don't the tutorials ever mention things like this? Light intensity and FOV, don't things like this get asked often?
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

FOV gets ask fairly fequently put light intensity is not really as that much. I think it is because fov is not well documented in the documentation and also has some strange results.

Also the tutorials can't do everything for you. I think the tutorials are very very good for irrlicht when you compare them to other engines(Official tutorials not all the third party tutorials)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

OGRE's tutorials are especially dire. They have one tutorial that isn't even particarly well explained. They have an army of developers compared to just Niko so really you should be thankful for the amount of documentation and tutorials there are.