Project Ninja Star - help wanted - ported to windows on 26th

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
fukuda

Post by fukuda »

But that didn't work out either cause we didn't really like the idea. Then next thought, “what else has swords but not medieval?”
Fencing! xD
Obviously we would like to step into some more advanced sound effects than just playing the sound. We would like some 3d sound effects such as echoes and the most known real life thing, this happens when a car is going past you. When the car is approaching it seems to make a different sound as it is getting closer. This cannot be made by just playing a file, it has to “rendered” (I dunno if its the right word to use) because otherwise the car approaching would go past you and disappear behind your back and the sound effect would still be playing the effect of the car APPROACHING. Because the time that it would take the car to approach would vary depending on speed and on the record of the sound the length of the sound would stay the same. I hope you understand my idea.
Oh man, this is called the doppler effect and can be analitically on-the-fly created in real time applications, it's just a physics matter :) . It's available in IrrKlang, by the way.

omg, I hope this is a comedy, lol
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

sio2 could we have some source code of your shaders for glass refraction?? (or are you bound by some licence)
cause i just found a tool that can convert source HLSL to GLSlang. We would obviously include ur name in the credits.

I'm a bit past the "hello world", my biggest succes in C++
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

in C++ is disecting the Totem Thumbnail icon thingie.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

CAUTION!!!
Automatic converters of shaders often produce incredibly heavy shaders if used with shaders that are complex. With simple shaders, however, they usually give you a 1:1, sometime even optimizing it in the process... But I doubt sio2's shaders are anywhere near simple.
Masterhawk

Re: [ANYONE WANTED] Codename: Ninja Star RPFPS

Post by Masterhawk »

devsh wrote: -Tom; tried to learn C & QuakeC (he is not creative at all, he would be able to make any game logic at all). Cannot learn independently at all, asks me for help all the time!!! HE CANT EVEN SET UP HIS WIRELESS ON UBUNTU. However he will make our models, textures and levels. If we will not be satisfied with his work (too low resolution, to much tessellation of textures in maps, too crap character models) we will abuse him and give him a beating.

[...]

Who ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
-SOMEONE WHO COULD HELP ME TO MAKE THE NETWORKING CODE (either really early stage of the project or just the end)
-SOMEONE WHO COULD ENLIGHTEN ME ON HOW TO CREATE A SAVE GAME FUNCTION (at least an autosave)
-SOMEONE WHO COULD WORK WITH US ON AI OF THE ENEMY AND ALLIES
-SOMEONE EXPERIENCED IN MAKING GAMES or C++.
-SOMEONE THAT WOULD HELP US TO WRITE SHADERS IN GLSL/GLSlang (GLASS REFRACTIONS ETC.)
LOL, you definitely made my day! The funniest post I ever read in these forums. And I read a lot of "New project: The biggest RPG ever"-threads the time I've been here.
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

devsh wrote:I'm a bit past the "hello world", my biggest succes in C++
see, this is what i mean. learn a bit of C++ and game programming first, write a little pong-like game and on some point you will realize, how complex it is to create a game that is "born from your mind".
what you want to do is let someone code the game for you and earn the credits for it. sorry but this is not how it works.
sorry for my honesty i don't mean to hurt you, i'm just trying to take away the big tomatoes on your eyes.
i love skateboarding!
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Didn't you read? They fired Tom the n00b and got Blake. BLAKE!
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

damn, i really forgot blake. heard a lot about him, wasn't he the guy who re-coded crysis in assembler?
i love skateboarding!
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Don't be ridiculous. BLAKE! uses nothing but FORTRAN, which he writes on punch cards made of adamantium. He drills the holes in them with nothing more than his steely glare.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

goddamn, this guy is GOOD.
i love skateboarding!
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Blake? Blake! BLAAAAAAAKKKKEEEE!

(Snake)
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Dorth wrote:CAUTION!!!
Automatic converters of shaders often produce incredibly heavy shaders if used with shaders that are complex. With simple shaders, however, they usually give you a 1:1, sometime even optimizing it in the process... But I doubt sio2's shaders are anywhere near simple.
Oh, the irony! I wrote a shader converter for ATI (before they were bought out by AMD)! 8)

Using a converter gives you something that (hopefully) works and can be good as a starting point. Always profile to see where your bottlenecks are - if it's converted shaders then hand-optimise/re-write them.

I'm thinking about writing everything in Cg from now on, as it's very portable (bear in mind that I also write AAA Windows, PS3 and XBox360 games for a living). The main drawback was the lack of DX10 support, but that appears to have been rectified in Cg 2.1. Perhaps it's time to add full Cg support to Irrlicht...I'll at least be grabbing Nadro's Cg patch...
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Yeah, I think everyone was waiting for cg to mature so that we all throw ourselves on it... And since the version 2, it seems to be mature enough.
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

psychophoniac wrote:sorry, but you sound to me like someone, who wants to code a second crisis but has just learned how to setup a "Hello World" program (witouht irrlicht, of course).

and those lines about "Tom" and the Windows-N00bs (of wich some created the shaders you're looking for ;) ) finally lets everybody stay away from this.

and yes, you broke the rules.

and finally:
what do you expect from this, people joining the team like you're giving away the Half-Life engine for free?
haha, i think that the guy created the thread just for this kind of reaction. You are missing the point, the 1st post is not serious, he doesn't mean it, it's just a provocative joke :D
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

he's 15 years old. i've been at that age, having the same sick dreams in almost the same dimensions.
i do believe he is ^^
i love skateboarding!