Anyone has Murphy's Irrlicht Format (MIM)?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Def5

Anyone has Murphy's Irrlicht Format (MIM)?

Post by Def5 »

I found Murphy's Irrlicht Format (MIM) on this post http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2963, but when i wanted to download it from this page http://www.constantthought.com/project/MIM it says that page was not found. It would be nice if someone give a link or upload file he downloaded before to some of the file sharing sites so that I and other users could be able to download it.
JP

Post by JP »

What is Murphy's Irrlicht Format, out of interest?
Image Image Image
fmx

Post by fmx »

i've never heard of it before either.

the irrlicht post which Def5 linked to has saigumi (an admin, active?) mentioning it in his Tools list, but that was over 4 years ago.
I guess it's probably an abandoned project or something, otherwise we'd all know about it.

Why do you need it Def5, there's probably alternatives available for it
Def5

Post by Def5 »

I don´t know really (because I don´t have it), but it says that MIM is 3D format for Irrlicht based on XML. I have Googled for him but there were not many results. On page http://www.developer.com/open/print.php/10930_3529571_2 is description:
MIM by Murphy McCauley is a very useful XML-based file format for Irrlicht with loaders, converters, tools, and so on.
fmx

Post by fmx »

um, sounds like it was an ancestor of .IRR format...
JP

Post by JP »

or .irrmesh more likely....

as fmx said, what do you need it for, maybe .irr/.irrmesh will suffice.
Image Image Image
Def5

Post by Def5 »

I need a library that is not some external library for 3d mesh format that can be loaded by Irrlicht (example: 3ds,obj,cal3d,mesh). I need 3d mesh format that is written purely for Irrlicht and that supports some features like skeletal animation and other (not like .irrmesh that supports only static models).
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

What benefit would that bring over other formats used elsewhere?
Def5

Post by Def5 »

To compile him inside Irrlicht DLL and that it doesn´t report any warnings or errors during compiling (tried that with Cal3D source files, but there were errors of course). To simplify, I don´t wan´t to have too much DLL-s, Just one named Irrlicht.dll that contains libraries from other Irrlicht users (IrrNewton,IrrLua...) integrated in that one single DLL. But there were always compiling problems and that is a reason I´m looking for Irrlicht 3d mesh format.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

But 3ds, obj, mesh, etc are all parts of the Irrlicht.dll, no use for external dlls. Moreover, using an ancient and never really finished file format will show up much more problems than using one of the supported formats 8)
Def5

Post by Def5 »

What 3d mesh file format do you suggest (that support skeletal animation)?
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

b3d
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Also ms3d and .x are pretty well supported, with bones support and several material attributes.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

lol... I took part on it, in matter of lots of testing, samples, etc...

I found it convenient for many reasons, but things have changed a lot since then, I haven't seen Murphy around here since then...

MIM was very cool for litghtmapping and editing that text file after all...
And several tools he made around it all...

But after that appeared several editors, more formats, b3d allows (I suppose) well lightmapped levels in irrlicht playing together with blender...

I think I have still some of the latest versions, which was not published I think... But right now it's all different, that was made using the 0.7 dll, for making the mim realtime viewer...

indeed, I remmeber the times there was here no skeletal format at all, and I insisted like and scratched disk about *.x format, as by then, tools only exported to that in the matter of bones and weights... everything have changed... Still, x keeps being the only native (dunno the state of blender's collada) , I mean, distributed inoficial versions, so, more likely to exist allways in every blender release... so imo, is good that as well irrlicht keeps supporting it...

Imo, blender should do the same with b3d, but more specially, with *.md5.. But while would be an amazing solution for game art, I am afraid that wont happen...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com