IrrNewt irrlicht\newton framework >> SVN access

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
matgaw

Post by matgaw »

Has anybody compiled IrrNewt against Irrlicht 1.5?

I have working version for 1.4.2 but 1.5 makes many functions obsolete and there are compiler errors that can't be easily fixed, for example:

Code: Select all

scene::SMeshBufferLightMap mb2;
    ((scene::ITerrainSceneNode*)node)->getMeshBufferForLOD(
		mb2,
		LOD //level of detail
		);
fails:

rrNewt_src\collision.cpp:37: error: no matching function for call to `irr::scene::ITerrainSceneNode::getMeshBufferForLOD(irr::scene::SMeshBufferLightMap&, irr::s32&)'
and so on...

white tiger (or anybody), could you provide a new compilable code?
FriendlyWarlord

Post by FriendlyWarlord »

m506 wrote:hey, i have a question.

Why does irrnewt need a lib and dll file to be able to be compiled if i added all the cpp source files from svn into my project?

I integrated all the cpp files with iphysics and it worked fine without the necessity of an iphysics lib and dll, but irrnewt is not letting me compile and keeps throwing unresolved functions to me.

im using the latest irrnewt svn + irrlicht 1.4.2 + newton 1.53

any ideas?
Hi, did you happen to get it working by compiling an IrrNewt lib file? I'm using the same versions of IrrNewt, Irrlicht, and Newton, and I'm having a problem compiling the demo.

I can sucessfully compile a lib for IrrNewt, but the demo causes linker errors:

Linking...
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::IBody::setLinearDamping(float)" (__imp_?setLinearDamping@IBody@newton@irr@@QAEXM@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl CreatePin(class irr::core::vector3d<float>)" (?CreatePin@@YAXV?$vector3d@M@core@irr@@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::IBody::setMaterial(class irr::newton::IMaterial *)" (__imp_?setMaterial@IBody@newton@irr@@QAEXPAVIMaterial@23@@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl CreatePin(class irr::core::vector3d<float>)" (?CreatePin@@YAXV?$vector3d@M@core@irr@@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::IBody::setContinuousCollisionMode(bool)" (__imp_?setContinuousCollisionMode@IBody@newton@irr@@QAEX_N@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl CreatePin(class irr::core::vector3d<float>)" (?CreatePin@@YAXV?$vector3d@M@core@irr@@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::IBody::setFreeze(bool)" (__imp_?setFreeze@IBody@newton@irr@@QAEX_N@Z) referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall MyEventReceiver::OnEvent(struct irr::SEvent const &)" (?OnEvent@MyEventReceiver@@UAE_NABUSEvent@irr@@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class irr::newton::IBody * __thiscall irr::newton::IUtils::launchCube(void)" (__imp_?launchCube@IUtils@newton@irr@@QAEPAVIBody@23@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall MyEventReceiver::OnEvent(struct irr::SEvent const &)" (?OnEvent@MyEventReceiver@@UAE_NABUSEvent@irr@@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class irr::newton::IUtils * __thiscall irr::newton::IWorld::getUtils(void)" (__imp_?getUtils@IWorld@newton@irr@@QAEPAVIUtils@23@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall MyEventReceiver::OnEvent(struct irr::SEvent const &)" (?OnEvent@MyEventReceiver@@UAE_NABUSEvent@irr@@@Z)
C:\dev\irrProject\Debug\irrProject.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 38 unresolved externals
Build log was saved at "file://c:\dev\irrProject\irrProject\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
irrProject - 39 error(s), 12 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm probably not creating the lib correctly (because I'm pretty darn sure I'm including it), but I have no idea what to do.

I also can't create an IrrNewt DLL for some reason - that causes 573 linker errors. Sorting out linker errors in Visual Studio (2005) is not at all my forte, and I have no idea where to start or what kind of information would be relevant.... help?? =p

[Edit]

Ok, I just tried the pre-compiled library from this thread: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=31113
and it gave the exact same linker errors upon compiling the demo. Now I'm pretty confused... I am SOOO bad at this :lol:

[Edit]

The linker errors I showed above were in Debug mode; here's what comes up in Release mode, if that makes any difference:

Linking...
demo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) class irr::newton::IWorld * __cdecl irr::newton::createPhysicsWorld(class irr::IrrlichtDevice *)" (__imp_?createPhysicsWorld@newton@irr@@YAPAVIWorld@12@PAVIrrlichtDevice@2@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::ICharacterController::setRotationUpdate(bool)" (__imp_?setRotationUpdate@ICharacterController@newton@irr@@QAEX_N@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class irr::core::vector3d<float> __thiscall irr::newton::ICharacterController::FRIgetDirectionAbsolutePositionY(class irr::core::vector3d<float>)" (__imp_?FRIgetDirectionAbsolutePositionY@ICharacterController@newton@irr@@QAE?AV?$vector3d@M@core@3@V453@@Z)
demo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall irr::newton::ICharacterController::cantSetVelocityWhileMove(void)" (__imp_?cantSetVelocityWhileMove@ICharacterController@newton@irr@@QAEXXZ)
demo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class irr::core::vector3d<float> __thiscall irr::newton::IBody::getShapeSize(void)" (__imp_?getShapeSize@IBody@newton@irr@@QAE?AV?$vector3d@M@core@3@XZ)
C:\dev\irrProject\Release\irrProject.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 39 unresolved externals
Build log was saved at "file://c:\dev\irrProject\irrProject\Release\BuildLog.htm"
irrProject - 40 error(s), 12 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
=D
matgaw

Post by matgaw »

I'm glad to announce that I managed to fix all the problems with compilation of irrNewt under Irrlicht 1.5 and with big TerrainSceneNodes (bigger than 129x129).

Since there are many modifications to the code, I uploaded a ready archive containing new irrNewt version to my server.

Here's link: Download irrNewt for Irrlicht 1.5

It contains all the code with bugfixes and modifications to run under Irrlicht 1.5. There are also precompiled binaries for Code::Blocks 8.02 and Irrlicht 1.5.

See FIXES-CHANGES.txt for more detail.

Hope this helps!
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

thanks
FriendlyWarlord

Thanks matgaw, I switched to Irrlicht 1.5 and was able to compile irrNewt and the demo with only minor changes =D

Newton only updates about 4 times a second in the demo though (with a 100+ Irrlicht framerate), but I'm sure I can fix that easily =)
=D
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

Thanks matgaw, I switched to Irrlicht 1.5 and was able to compile irrNewt and the demo with only minor changes =D

Newton only updates about 4 times a second in the demo though (with a 100+ Irrlicht framerate), but I'm sure I can fix that easily =)
hmm... I have previously compiled for 1.5... see:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... fferForLOD and
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=31440

and I have the problem of a very stuttering newton performance.... How can you tell the physics is updated only 4 times per second... more important if true, how do we fix it ?
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

that's amazing! thanks a lot, you save my project!
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

i can't compile under linux
could you provide a makefile?
i tried with codeblocks, but i am getting following errors:

||=== IrrNewt, default ===|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/IrrBox.cpp|5|error: irrbox.h: No such file or directory|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|10|error: newton.h: No such file or directory|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|30|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|30|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|31|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|31|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|100|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|102|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonMaterial’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|105|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|106|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonMaterial’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|109|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|109|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonMaterial’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|112|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|112|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|113|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|113|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|114|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|114|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|115|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|115|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|118|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|118|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|119|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|119|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|122|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|122|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|123|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|123|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|126|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|126|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonJoint’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|129|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|129|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonRagDollBone’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|130|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|130|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|133|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|133|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonJoint’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|134|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|134|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonJoint’ with no type|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/IrrBox.cpp|10|error: ‘IrrBox’ has not been declared|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/IrrBox.cpp|10|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
||=== Build finished: 40 errors, 0 warnings ===|
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

and when trying to compile all2pov:

/usr/local/include/irrString.h||In constructor ‘irr::core::string<T, TAlloc>::string(double)’:|
/usr/local/include/irrString.h|59|error: there are no arguments to ‘_snprintf’ that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘_snprintf’ must be available|
/usr/local/include/irrString.h|59|error: (if you use ‘-fpermissive’, G++ will accept your code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|413|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|425|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|438|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|450|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|462|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|475|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|487|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|499|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrXML.h|513|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrlicht.h|278|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/usr/local/include/irrlicht.h|297|error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp||In function ‘void pause()’:|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp|63|error: new declaration ‘void pause()’|
/usr/include/unistd.h|429|error: ambiguates old declaration ‘int pause()’|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp||In function ‘std::string storeMeshbuffer(SingleMeshBuffer)’:|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp|415|warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp||In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp|452|error: ‘createDevice’ was not declared in this scope|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/all2pov/all2pov.cpp|543|warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions|
||=== Build finished: 16 errors, 2 warnings ===|
:s :s :s
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

I have no idea how to compile under linux except I know how to type make but I'm sure that wont help...
For my little windows experience I can tell that I had a lot of linker errors... In the end I got them all solved by making sure to link against the right irrlicht lib, being the one I compiled beforehand and making sure by date the specified directory contained exactly that lib, I got confused a lot of times.. just make sure the directories under extras->options->projects->VC++ directories->libraryfiles point to the right directories in doubt compile them again... its only irllicht & irrnewt.
Edit:
Also for many examples I found some entries under project properties -> linker -> additional libraryfiles which I deleted because all required libraryfiles are already covered under extras->options...
maybe it helps
and maroxe... of course you should also add all include files... your errors aren't even linker errors as it looks... No idea how codeblocks works...
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

why don't you write exact file names( for example you wrote newton.h instead of Newton.h)
VC++ won't complain, but g++ will :(
FriendlyWarlord

maroxe wrote:i can't compile under linux

/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/IrrBox.cpp|5|error: irrbox.h: No such file or directory|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|10|error: newton.h: No such file or directory|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|30|error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘*’ token|
/home/bachir/lib/aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/../../../include/hidden.hpp|30|error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘NewtonBody’ with no type|
IrrBox.h isn't with all the other .hpp files, instead it's in source\IrrNewt_src\IrrBox. Hope that helps!

zillion42 wrote:and I have the problem of a very stuttering newton performance.... How can you tell the physics is updated only 4 times per second... more important if true, how do we fix it ?
Well, when I tried running the demo (demo.cpp), the fire particles and the character animation and the camera would move smoothly at at least 60 FPS, but the cubes I throw moved only a few times a second. I fixed this by using world->update(timestep) instead of just world->update(). I also made sure it called world->update(timestep) only 1/timestep times a second.

If you make the timestep too large though (somewhere between 30 FPS and 60 FPS), it seems to update the physics slower.... is there some kind of built-in minimum FPS limit? I haven't checked the documentation yet - err, I should probably just look into that myself then ;P
=D
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

FriendlyWarlord wrote:

IrrBox.h isn't with all the other .hpp files, instead it's in source\IrrNewt_src\IrrBox. Hope that helps!
That's because the exact filename is IrrBox not irrbox
maroxe

Post by maroxe »

i succeded to compile it on linux :D
this is the steps:
1- cd to aresfps/IrrNewt/include:
2- replace all #include <newton.h> with #include <Newton.h> with the following cammand:

sed -i "s/#include <newton.h>/#include <Newton.h>/g" *.hpp
3- cd to aresfps/IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src, and do the same thing, but with cpp files:

sed -i "s/#include <newton.h>/#include <Newton.h>/g" *.cpp
4-in /IrrNewt/source/IrrNewt_src/IrrBox/IrrBox.cpp, replace #include "irrbox.h" with #include "IrrBox.h"

and HF :p
FriendlyWarlord

maroxe wrote:
FriendlyWarlord wrote:
That's because the exact filename is IrrBox not irrbox
Hehe, could've been both. Glad you fixed it though ^_^
FriendlyWarlord wrote:If you make the timestep too large though (somewhere between 30 FPS and 60 FPS), it seems to update the physics slower.... is there some kind of built-in minimum FPS limit? I haven't checked the documentation yet - err, I should probably just look into that myself then ;P
Yep, sure enough... IWorld->setMinimumFrameRate()'s default is 60FPS, duh ><

There's one thing I'm still perplexed about though (I might find the answer in one of the tutorials though)... Irrlicht's distances corrospond perfectly to Newton's distances, but when I convert from Irrlicht to Newton velocities or forces, I have to multiply my distance units per second values by 0.035..... so, newton's velocity units are distance units per 0.035 seconds? Nothing to worry about, I'm just curious is all. But if there's a more accurate value (say, 0.034somethingsomething), anyone know what it is?
=D