Havok wrapper

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March
3DModelerMan

Havok wrapper

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Contest:
To write a wrapper to integrate Irrlicht with the havok physics SDK.

Rules:
The wrapper must be compiled on windows with GCC
(and MSVC if you want),
It must be released under an Irrlicht compatible license,
the media files for tech demos and such (if you want to put those in)
must be freely available,
and there must be documentation (just like an API reference or a simple tutorial to get started).

This should have support for at least:
Basic physics, and static mesh and heightmap physics objects.

Prize
The top five wrappers will receive a texture set by me completely free, you can use it wherever you want without paying royalties or anything I won't even require credit I will post a sample image later.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
benny53

Post by benny53 »

I'm 99% sure that Havok cannot be compiled under the GCC compiler. I've tried many things to attempt getting it to. So the only viable option would be the Intel C++ compiler ( which not everyone has as a resource ) and or the MSVC++ compiler.

And I'd like to mention I'm about to start writing tutorials for Irrlicht and Havok. I don't see a library happening as it takes a while to write a good one, and I'm not sure how much I'm willing to do that XD

Edit - I withdraw that last statement. I think I'm actually going to create a library. I have done a lot of work with Irrlicht and havok, so I'm most likely going to make this happen.
Namespace Irrlightuser

Post by Namespace Irrlightuser »

PhysX can really do the job, it has everything from individual water particle displacement to destructive objects. It's also free for commercial projects. We just need to improve the PhysX wrapper. If we could get physically destructible objects... that would be sweet.
Xarshi

Post by Xarshi »

Honestly, the wrapper / interface I have done so far with Havok offers a lot more professional quality than PhysX offers. You have to do a ton to get PhysX working (not the wrapper, but physx in general). PhysX character controllers are, in my opinion, horrible. The Havok character controller I have integrated into my framework feels like a real games character. I'll be releasing that library very soon with vehicle support, characters, triggers, ragdolls, and hopefully animations. That'll be once I finish my game (so by may 24th it'll be released).

It really helps game development. My game feels like a true fps due to the character controller and how it interacts with the environment.
Malgodur

Post by Malgodur »

Whoa i would LOVE to see Havok wrapped into Irrlicht!!
el3ndil

Post by el3ndil »

Xarshi:

I think so. PhysX is poop, i want use havoc in my project:)

I belive that tomorrow You will done it!

I'm waiting:)
roelor

Post by roelor »

Love the idea, unfortunatly, gcc is the only compiler that I ever got to work.. (visual studio always crashes the compiler on me even if I use the msvc compiler in codeblocks)

*Jikes this was a topic of last year..*