Irrlicht CVS Petition

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Post by Guest »

I never said Irrlicht was a failure, it is a great engine. I mean MORE successful. We need these things so Irrlicht can grow.
mm765

Post by mm765 »

Tyn wrote:I doubt this is what is meant, but from reading the above posts I get the impression that people feel that because it is in the open domain that we are all owed this and owed that. I dunno about you guys but I program for the fun of it and I think that Niko does too. It would be nice to have more of a say in development but it's not ours to dictate what should and shouldn't be done.

If Niko wants to go and work on a .Net port it is probably because he wants to work with C# more ( which I am pretty sure he does from his blog ) and not necessarily to satisfy all of us.

I think trying to put anyone under pressure to do something when really they are doing a community a favour by releasing the code to us is pretty wrong IMO.

Just my thoughts, flame me all you want :)
you are right that niko doesnt owe anything to us and he doesnt even have to reply to these posts. but seeing and reading these posts and from talks on irc im pretty sure, if nothing like this happens, there will, in the near future, be some forked versions of irrlicht and that would mean that version x will have patches 1 and 2 and version y will have patches 2 and 3 and so on and efforts would be wasted by implementing the same functionality multiple times in the different forks.
and thats what i wouldnt like and why i think something should be done to prevent this.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Anonymous wrote:We need someone to RID the FAQ/Knowledge/Everything else that adds on to Irrlicht and organize it into readible, reliable, and clean topics. This is the only way we will ever let Irrlicht grow.
Cool. Go for it. I cleaned up a few to make them easier, and Robomaniac started a compiled FAQ post.

Feel free to assist with any of it.
Crud, how do I do this again?

Post by Guest »

I cannot do it correctly without the cooperation of a moderator. All I need is one forum designated for clean addon posts. I will organize them all if I can have that section. I will make organize all addons into the same type of format and post them accordingly.
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

hey! give Niko a break, with the new material system we will scream as a million of babies!
http://www.javazing.com
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6
atcdevil

Post by atcdevil »

Serg Nechaeff wrote:hey! give Niko a break, with the new material system we will scream as a million of babies!
Yes... but when?
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

No offense to niko if this isn't right.

But...

This is starting to show signs of turning into Neoengine. For those who don't know, about a month ago, the dev of Neoengine, after being out've contact for a while (like niko), decided to drop neo1 to start a new engine. Now, I think this is happening similar to niko and .net. My feeling is that he's going to drop the C++ engine and only support .NET. I do not like this at all, and without a cvs, the engine will die b/c of this.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I don't think that is what is happening but if it were then there would be nothing stopping us from setting up a CVS system and continuing development. Having Niko set up a CVS wouldn't make any difference to that, I'm sure that if Niko was to give up on the engine ( which I don't think he will ) he would give access to the Irrlicht sourceforge page and we could use their CVS system.

He hasn't been out of contact for that long, it has been four and a half months since the last release but the average was about 3 IIRC, so it's not as bad as it seems. Last post I saw was about a week ago I think, that's not out of contact for ages as far as I know.
punt

Did you ask, versus just speculate?

Post by punt »

Robomaniac wrote:No offense to niko if this isn't right.

But...

This is starting to show signs of turning into Neoengine. For those who don't know, about a month ago, the dev of Neoengine, after being out've contact for a while (like niko), decided to drop neo1 to start a new engine. Now, I think this is happening similar to niko and .net. My feeling is that he's going to drop the C++ engine and only support .NET. I do not like this at all, and without a cvs, the engine will die b/c of this.
Did you bother asking him in an email or some other avenue before one speculated on what may be happening? I had a similar concern, as I was looking to invest in using the irrlicht engine. However, since I am on linux, and code in C++, a C# primary engine wouldn't be of much help to me. Given's Niko's blog, it was clear of his preference to C#. So I sent an email, and asked. His repsonse was the C++ would continue to be the core of the engine. Mainly in that he wasn't going to redo all of the code, but instead use Managed C++ to make the engine available to C#/NET.

So, in some respect at least, the C++ engine will continue on as the main thrust. But if you have other concerns, why speculate on what "may be happening", and just ask him directly. Once you get an answer, then consider what the next course of action should be. To base action on just speculation seems silly.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Sorry for not posting for some time here. We had this CVS-discussion now for about 4 or 5 times, and I don't really want to start it up again, sorry. If someone else wants to create a CVS rep for irrlicht, applying the patches all the people are contributing here into the forum, it would be cool, I've no problem with this, just do it. :) The reasons why I don't create a CVS repository are known, as far as I read. And here's another good reason, for the ones who can't still agree: With the newest releases of Irrlicht, I spent in most cases just a few days. I sit down, add a new feature to the engine for some days, and then release the whole thing. So ther is no real advantage if you get the code from CVS. At maximum one week before release, you would get some buggy code, that's all. An exception are things like the .NET stuff, and the material system. I work on them for longer time, but just because I am not sure how they should look like, how the interfaces should be. And I am sure that no one needs the unfinished interfaces, which will change a lot until the release.

To answer some other questions arising in this thread:
  • Communication: I am doing the best I can. Really, really a lot of people are asking questions about the engine, and it consumes a lot of time answering them. I am really happy if I find some time to visit this forum and answer some posts. I visited the irc from time to time too, but chatting is a lot more time consuming than answering mails, so I stopped it.
  • Right, it is my piece of software, and I can do with it what I want. But I try to do things, so that the changes are an advantage for the community too. And if you don't like how I am doing things, just branch the engine if you like. Create your own project, develop the engine further, in the direction you like. Would be cool.
  • The engine isn't dead. I am currently only a little bit stressed. In fact, I am working on plans for new features of the engine, but all this needs time. I think I'm creating a minor release soon, with very little new features, but maybe something which could be useful anyway until the next big release.
Hope this answered some of your questions. :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

do it at your pace, Niko. :)

-As if it were needed to say-

I couldn't agree more with that.

And thanks again for making Irrlicht...

And that counting I am not using Irlicht(as I cannot code)...but is an engine that opens a lot of possibilities :)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

One thing you COULD take from this is that there is a lot of anticipation for another release which is positive, although a look at the code3d.com/blog would have settled that the engine wasn't dead, but hey ho.

I'd prefer a bug fix minor release to adding any of the new features you have planned personally. Dunno if this is what you are planning or what everyone wants but shiny new features aren't always the best thing in the world.
With the newest releases of Irrlicht, I spent in most cases just a few days.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who codes in short fits :)
brcolow

Post by brcolow »

Niko, I have now registered (the person who created this thread) and I just wanted to say thank you for replying, whether or not it was bad news :)

I hope the next releases of Irrlicht go smoothly and quickly ;)
G'Day.
mm765

Post by mm765 »

Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

irrlicht rulez!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.javazing.com
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6