Joan of Arc tutorial. A complete 3d character tutorial.

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Mel
Competition winner

Joan of Arc tutorial. A complete 3d character tutorial.

Post by Mel »

I've checked the boards, and seems this great resource for character creation hasn't been posted ever. Anyway, this tutorial is one of the most important, and most recomended when a person wants to begin to create characters on its own, as it covers ALL the aspects of a good character, from the first concept design, to the final rig and UVWmapping.

Although it is created using 3dsmax, it shouldn't be hard to port it to another application. The important points are treated with much abstraction, so, use to be non program specific.

It requires that you are a bit used to your programs, but the results are great. I hope you find it useful.

Joan of Arc tutorial
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Nice link, that's definitely new to me, tho.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Someone redid this one for Blender about 5 years ago but I cant find it now
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
fmx

Post by fmx »

yup, this was one of the greatest model-tutorials ever created, has been ported to almost every 3D modelling package.
Got to grips with XSI using this almost 4 years ago, and I'm sure it would have helped countless other people too.

Not sure how useful Irrlicht "programmers" would find it though... :P
(but props for helping spread the wisdom)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

It is related. Irrlicht is a graphics library after all.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Def5

Post by Def5 »

I think it´s easier to use MakeHuman http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php :). Exported models can be later easily edited in some of 3d modelling programs. And it´s free, also.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Yeah, of course! :lol: But i'm a maniac of control!, i want everything in the place i want it to be. :) That seems to be a useful tool too, but the models it creates are already done. I rather building my own.
fmx

Post by fmx »

I dunno, I don't like the feel of the makehuman models (although the source is available so possible to customise).

The point of the JoanOfArc tutorial is to help you become a better modeller, not neccessarily as a method of making human models ;)
trivtn

Post by trivtn »

I've followed it, and make my own character model easy, thank Mel !!!
There's something is fantastic, there's nothing is absolute.