Model Problem

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Model Problem

Post by Guest »

I am trying to display a weapon as a child of the camera for a FPS, everything works fine when it is just the weapon but when I replace that with a weapon and a hand (together in the same model) the weapon stays fine but the hand looks like crap!

Screenshot of the hand in Milkshape 3d:

Screenshot of it in my program:

MS3D file (I tried obj, same results):
http://www.flashstand.com/v_sword.ms3d

Texture file: (dont mind the doom rules :))

I know it isn't a code error because it loads the sword FINE, but this model, it messes up on. Why, and is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help!
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Umm, can you get a better picture of the hand inside the game? Prehaps extending it further away from the camera so we can see it properly? It does look bad, yes. Although you haven't got a hope in hell of getting Irrlicht to look the same as your modelling render, you should have a little better quality than that.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I have had a simular problem with models exported from 3DS max in .3DS format. I have found that if multiple objects are used some if not all are porrly textured or just wrong/disfigured. Sometimes this can be fixed by converting all models to polygons or one editable poly. I am sure that you can do that in Milkshape(Or at least you should be able to).

Also I just noticed there does not appear to be any shadows or lights in your second picture. Notice how the sword in the second picture looks EXACTLY like the texture while the one in the first looks darker, more textured and as though there is a light comming from the right. I think your sword is having the same problem and it only looks right because it has some texture rather than a solid color as does the hand.

side note: I wonder if my problem(Not nessecarily yours) has to do with the object being described from its own point of origin in 3DS max and then offset and maybe irrlicht just uses the the center point of origion or the point of origin of the original

Post by Guest »

Well, I zoomed it out and I see the hand shape, but still the same blobbish lookingness it has. So, my option is..

Extend irrlicht to have support for shaders.
Implement an external shader.

Or...

Would adding lighting to the map fix it at all?
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Try it! It only takes a second to add a light to the scene(Check the tutorials). :D
blayde

Post by blayde »

i'm only a newbie, but it looks to me like the model is disformed and the texture is horrible. the model i have no idea about. but my guess is that the hand texturing looks crap cos the texture is crap. the texture just happened to look ok in the modeler because of the dark lighting. irr' is just showing the texture as it really is.

i'm no artist so i can't tell you how to improve the texture, but i can tell you that a) our hands aren't just one colour and b) even if they were i dont think they'd be orange :D this aint the simpsons ;D. i know doing humans is hard, good luck.
dingo

Post by dingo »

it'll be a lighting issue.

Btw try different lights using different renderers ie Ogl, Dx8.1 Dx9 ,Software etc
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

It's entirly a texture and lighting problem.

I'm a complete noob to both modeling and Irrlicht and I've never had a problem with my models looking good in Irrlicht either in the meshviewer or in necor an Irrlicht game I'm modeling for.

here is a picture of the amplifier model in necor you can see how a solid texture with not so hot lighting makes the model look very flat and boxy.

here is a milkshape webviewer version of the model with a bit different lighting. Midnight's Models

just get some good lighting on your map I'm not sure how the necor guy did it but I think he just used lights on his map I don't think he did any shader coding but hey I'm sure alot of people would love you if you did do it.