Continuous Terrain?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
isfk

Continuous Terrain?

Post by isfk »

How would I start by rendering continuous terrain like the Torque engine does? Either random terrain, or genertated on demand, I don't care at this point. Is Irrlicht able to perform something like that? The largest hightmap I've been able to get the engine to render is at 128x128. In the near future my project will need to render large terrain, plus allow the use to continue through and continually render terrain.

Any ideas, comments?

Will I need to create a custom "large terrain scene node" or how would you guys go about that?

Thanks.
Jake-GR

Post by Jake-GR »

Cant help on the programming part (still learning Irrlicht)

But I can tell you how Torque does it, its not a large terrain, its just the same terrain tiled over and over

If you want the terrain to be continuous, and different... look into pagged terrain (not sure if there is one for irrlicht yet) but if you understand the concept you might be able to implement it yourself
3DModelerMan

there

Post by 3DModelerMan »

There is a terrain pager floating around the code snippets section somewhere. And there's the aras tiled terrain node too.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Shane

Post by Shane »

I'll look for it, and if I find it I will add a link here. Whenever I see tiled terrain, I always think of a 2d tile type like in civ 2. I hope I was wrong in thinking that.