The latest word on shadows...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Gezmo P

The latest word on shadows...

Post by Gezmo P »

Hi!

You're all probably sick to death of being asked about shadows, but I have some more questions.

Yes I have made a search on the forums for shadows. Here is a summary of what I have found:

Sometimes they work in windowed mode, sometimes in fullscreen. Sometimes you have to set the bit size of the graphics used to match your desktop (16 or 32). Sometimes they work all the time. Sometimes they work in Open GL but not Direct X 8 or 9.

What I am after is some basic info to help me reach my own conclusions about shadows.

Are Shadows dependent on the underlying hardware? I am running a very old Celeron 500 with 320MB of Mem, and a 3d Prophet 4500 with 64MB of ram. DirectX 9.0, and XP.

Using the techdemo, I can get shadows if I choose OPen GL, which gives me a very poor quality image. I can't get shadows if I use Direct X 8 or 9, regardless of whether Fullscreen is set or not, or if I have changed the bit depth of the desktop to match that specified at compile time.

Can someone please give me the latest info, so I know whether to persever e, or beef up my machine. ( I know it needs upgrading anyway :) )

Many thanks.

Gezmo P
"DIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Gezmo P

PS

Post by Gezmo P »

The Irrlicht console tells me that when I use Direct X that stencil buffer shadows are not supported by the device, and yet I get them, albeit rather poorly drawn, in Open GL.

Ta

Gezmo P
"DIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Fussel

Post by Fussel »

it depends on the graphic device you use..not all cards can use stencil shadows; my old ati rage 128 cant use them but with my gf4ti i can use them both in ogl and dx8+9..but on ogl they are much worse than with dx8 and dx8 is a lot faster in the techdemo
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

with such an old system quality shadows would probably slow the application down too much anyway.