Could irrlicht be used to create multi-player online game?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
imagination304

Post by imagination304 »

Hi all,

(similar to "Left 4 dead")

Thanks in advance
Hopes everyone here all success!!!
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Why not?

Irrlicht just renders the graphics you put into it.
But beside graphics you need networking, sound, etc.

So with irrlicht alone no, but if you want to use Irrlicht for the graphics it can be used for alomst everything.

However if you need to ask if Irrlicht can do that I doubt you are ready for a multiplayer online game.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Indeed. I wouldn't embark on the journey to create a multiplayer game unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Start small, start local.
imagination304

Post by imagination304 »

Thank you for your comments, Sylence and Eigen.

Is this very difficult to achieve?
I thought that if I could write a single-player game.Then, with the help of networking library (eg. RakNet, etc.), I should write the multiplayer online game. Am I too optimistic or missing something?

:(
sudi

Post by sudi »

Well did u already write a singleplayer game (like Left4Dead)? If u did then u will probably be ready to make it multiplayer...
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Nox

Post by Nox »

errr.....it is most likely easier to convert a mp-game to a sp-game because converting a sp-game to a mp-game is hard if the class-design is not aligned for a mp-game.
sudi

Post by sudi »

well u can hack it in some way to work as mp or u recode it entirely..
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
imagination304

Post by imagination304 »

Thanks, Sudi and Nox.
:D