DLL file

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Wdenslow

DLL file

Post by Wdenslow »

Can files made with Irrlicht be turned into a Dll file?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

What do you mean by "files made with Irrlicht"?

If you mean code written that is using the Irrlicht Graphic Engine then yes, the project could be made to be a DLL file though you would still need the Irrlicht DLL (if you do dynamic linking).

A little advice: When asking questions you have the best chance of getting the right answer by being as much specific as possible or give as much details as you can about your problem so we would know exactly what's the problem and find the best solution.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
skumar

Post by skumar »

i have seen an engine called 3impact which has a standard exe...

and when we compile our projects it gives dlls....

We run the exe with the dll made from our project....

Its not possible in Irrlich as far as i know....

This is the best way.....
skumar
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

This doesn't make much sense to me: You have the app compiled to a dll, and the render engine is the exe?! This would mean you still have two files, there's no difference to your Irrlicht project. It's just vice versa. Moreover, you can statically link and only have one exe, without dlls.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Cool i actualy made my engine be able to use the same stuff. Thereu can programm the Game/Application without linking to anything(really noob friendly) then just drop the dll onto theexe and the game/application runs. Of course there is support for the traditional way of linking the gameengine and compiling the gamecode into a exe. but to answer your question of course this is possible!
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
skumar

Post by skumar »

Thanx for that info Sudi....

What is the main advantage of doing such thing..... :)
skumar
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

- Reduce compile times,

- Modify parts of the engine without recompiling the whole (think about how many updates are done to a 3D engine in its life. saves brandwidth somewhere),

- Expose parts of the engine to C++ mod developers, without scripting language.

- Keep projects small, easyer to maintain and develop.

There are many more advantages. One sure thing, 3D apps are quite large : smaller modular parts enhance the architecture of the application.
Jiang

Post by Jiang »

Katsankat wrote:- Reduce compile times,

- Modify parts of the engine without recompiling the whole (think about how many updates are done to a 3D engine in its life. saves brandwidth somewhere),

- Expose parts of the engine to C++ mod developers, without scripting language.

- Keep projects small, easyer to maintain and develop.

There are many more advantages. One sure thing, 3D apps are quite large : smaller modular parts enhance the architecture of the application.
Sorry maybe I did not really get your points, but all you said are quite true for any exe/dll distribution.

If you use the exe provided by a library vendor, then it is quite that together with the possible benefits, lots of dependencies will be introduced.

I am not saying the method not good, but it is better think twice before using it for serious application.

Regards,

Jiang