Project Ninja Star - help wanted - ported to windows on 26th

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok so you actually wanna join?
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Who wouldn't.
wyrmmage

Post by wyrmmage »

Hehe, I'm pretty sure that Dorth and vermeer are worth way more than me, although I appreciate the kind words in your sig :)
Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com
Ganadu'r, The Eternal Sage (Other Current Project) - http://rpg.naget.com
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

I wouldn't know about the more part, I won't say there, but 3$ of Dorth won't give you much unless your cause is golden ;)
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok i got couple of things worked out
1) decent savegames (working is not my minimum)
2) rumble support (with almost no documentation)
3) ways to speed up rendering

the third one is interesting, i learn a whole ffing lot while doing this project. I regularly contact people with experience in making games. And it came down to the topic of making a ninja star. I went off and made a 300 triangle model (there was no other way of getting the shape) and i know this is wayyy too high for a model of such a small thing. I was puzzling for a very long time and then one of these wonderful people pointed me in the direction of bump mapping. I knew about it before, but i never thought of using it in this way. So i wont use that model but it will be useful for generating a height map.

P.S. i still get very confused with ways of drawing shadows
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

btw im integrating the wii remote with my game, its gonna be fun!
HondaDarrell

Joining your project

Post by HondaDarrell »

im' studying c++. I'm experienced in netcode and gamelogic.
I would be interested in joining your design team.
Ninja Star - 1% Complete | Ninja Assault - 3% Complete | Space Pirate - 10% Complete
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Ok this guy joined.

I'm trying to get the best results out of the water scene node by elvman and i must say im having some problems.

If anyone wants to check out our project page - project-ninja-star.googlecode.com
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

wow,
what a zoo... :D
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok honda guy is our network programmer, he has some experience in that so i think we will be able to release a small demo sooon.

my second soncern is autodetection of hardware (PS_2 and VS_2) so i can make a menu with options.
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

devsh wrote: the third one is interesting, i learn a whole ffing lot while doing this project. I regularly contact people with experience in making games. And it came down to the topic of making a ninja star. I went off and made a 300 triangle model (there was no other way of getting the shape) and i know this is wayyy too high for a model of such a small thing. I was puzzling for a very long time and then one of these wonderful people pointed me in the direction of bump mapping. I knew about it before, but i never thought of using it in this way. So i wont use that model but it will be useful for generating a height map.
You could probably lower the poly count down to like 50 or something if you make use of alpha channels. :3
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

im not a modeler and i will never be

UPDate: I'm pretty close to release a demo in which you can move around an island with realistic night/day, blooming sun, and a nexuiz map loaded on top of the island. I will include loads of options to play around with.

just btw i will release it for testing so I can see if people with really crap graphics cards can play it at decent framerate. there will be a menu where you can turn off reflections, wave shaders, and transarency.

P.S. I wont be using octtree for nexuiz maps anymore, I will use the hardware hint of static mesh thingie. This is because there are problems with shadows.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

OH YEAH SPLIT SCREEN WORKING AFTER 20 days of hard work

i only need to fix trivial things
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

OK THEN BLOOD FILLED SCREEN

Well basically, for anyone who played GoW, you know when your health gets low there is more and more blood on the screen (you dont have a health bar). We want to have this.

You come up with the idea- you get your name in credits and you can use the work in your portfolio.

What it must be:
1) at least a slightly transparent texture of blood on the screen (example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFYCdTa0hE see 0:49)
2) different amount of blood for severity of damage (e.g. if you lost quarter of health you only get little drops adn if youre nearly dying you cant even see)

What it would be good to be:
1) if you could write a shader for it
2) if you could make it animated somehow (the drops running down the screen)
3) if you could make a little demo using and irrlicht example (like loading q3 map) and putting your blood invention over it
hellshady00

Post by hellshady00 »

rogerborg wrote:As I said, I like this announcement. It's got fidelity. Reminds me of classic JeffK
Thats 2 hours of my life i'll never get back...i should really be careful about clicking links :(

Good luck with the project and congrats on the split screen lol

im looking forward to seeing what people come up with for the "blood filled screen" i might have a stab at it myself :)

Keep us posted :)