What are the renderers YOU are using?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

What renderers are you using presently?

Burning Video
5%
DX8
No votes
DX9
35%
OpenGL
45%
Software
No votes
Some of them (Please elaborate)
12%
All of them
3%
Other(s) (Please elaborate)
No votes
None (?) (Please elaborate)
No votes

Total votes: 60

Dorth

What are the renderers YOU are using?

Post by Dorth »

I have been wondering for a while now what renderers are being used. Please answer as truthfully as you can about all the renderers you are still using. Sadly, I couldn't enter all the poll options I wanted, since the limitation is too high. Try and find the closest answer please.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Basicly I'm letting the user choose between Dx9, OpenGl and Burningsvideo. (Dx8 and the normal software driver are pointless imho).

Though on Windows I prefer Dx9 and on Linux OpenGL
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

DirectX9. My programs are all Windows oriented. In fact in the last compilations of irrlicht i've seen seems that the DirectX8 is being disabled.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

By default it is since most recent DX sdk don't have what's needed to compile it (even if finding it isn't that hard)
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Niko enables it for the actual SDK releases (so that the DX8 driver is available), but it's off in the SVN versions of IrrCompileConfig.h

I can't imagine that it'll be enabled indefinitely, but Niko's roof, Niko's rules. ;)
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

I use Direct3D9 and OpenGL :wink:
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
sudi

Post by sudi »

i only use OpenGl
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
cobra

Post by cobra »

I mainly use OpenGL, it's faster in my opinion. Or maybe just on my computer. Also DirectX is darker for a flight sim, anyway. :)
Last edited by cobra on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josiah Hartzell
MasterM

Post by MasterM »

OpenGL FTW, i like it more then DX
C++ is not the Magdalena...it takes patience...shes like the well aged prostitute, it takes years to learn her tricks! she is cruel...laughs at you when you are naked...
Life of a programmer == Const abuse
cobra

Post by cobra »

Agreed! :o
Josiah Hartzell
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

OpenGL, Burning, DirectX8 and the Null Driver. I think I've also used Software in the past (for pre-start settings which let the user select stuff) but probably could also use Burning there by now. I might use DirectX9 at some time. It's really strange - once stuff is there you find yourself suddenly in situation where you actually need it.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
JP

Post by JP »

I tend to use OGL mostly as it's cross platform but i also like to support DX9 so that the user has an option (at least on windows anyway...).

Basically you can never really predict how the driver will work on someone elses PC so it's good to provide a few options so they can try and find the best fit.
Image Image Image
tewe76

Post by tewe76 »

I use all of them. Although OGL would work on every machine, the truth is that it doesn´t on many old ones. And, in fact, so does DX9. So DX8 support is very important if you are not aiming to nextgen hardcore machines.
I wouldn't like DX8 support abandoned.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Since we got some updates for XBOX compilation recently, there's definitely some need for the DX8 driver. It won't be abandoned for the next future, but updates might be slower for this driver than for the more recent ones.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Yes, I think the poll shows a definitive tendency towards OpenGL and DX9, with a good interest in Burning Software. Which is nice, 'cuz it tells what should be a priority in updating/maintaining and what should be supported if possible for any new features ^^