[HELP WANTED] Front Warrior - team-based action FPS

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Eigen
Competition winner

[HELP WANTED] Front Warrior - team-based action FPS

Post by Eigen »

Hey all! I finally decided to post my project here, the main reason being that when it's posted and announced I have no chance to be lazy :)

Overview

Front Warrior (name is a WIP) is a first person shooter taking place in some place or the other. When I started out, my idea was to be similar to Command & Conquer: Renegade. Over time the concept has changed but it would still involve vehicle and team based action to destroy enemy base. But different character classes play a much bigger role. Currently the game is worked on in single player, but multiplayer would be a great add-on in the future.

What is done?

Many gameplay elements have been programmed, including weapons, basic AI, purchase terminals, simple vehicles etc. Also an editor is being worked on slowly but surely.

What needs to be done?

For a first demo release a proper game design and story needs writing before I can continue with most of the features. This brings me to my next point.

Looking for team members

I am looking for people to join the development team. If you are an 2D/3D artist or game/story designer and you're interested in this project, contact me. You can send me a PM or find my e-mail in my profile. Also, if someone here has some knowledge of multiplayer game programming, you're also welcomed to join. I'm very serious about finishing this project myself, so I hope someone can help me out :)

Screenshots

Image Image
Image Image

Old development screenshots

Image Image Image Image

You can find more screenshots, couple of videos and further info about the game from the webpage

I also started a development blog

I guess this is all for now. Feel free to post any questions or suggestions you have here.
Last edited by Eigen on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Looks pretty darn good, I'm looking forward to playing the demo! One thing that you may want to add is some hands in first person. It looks a little odd to see a gun just floating around :)
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Thanks! Yes, some hands would be nice but I can't model very well myself, so they would probably look rather bad.
In case anyone's interested, I posted my first blog entry. It's short but maybe someone finds it interesting. It's about my simple occlusion method.
stash

Post by stash »

Hey, nice job! Do you can available a demo for us?
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Not yet, but I can now say, that the demo version is being worked on. It will contain 2 levels and a few different types of vehicles. No multiplayer (Internet, LAN), only single player.

But I'm still seeking 3d modelers/artists to help me on my project. Mainly I need someone to work on the vehicles, characters and weapons. Any graphics programming knowledge (shaders, etc.) is a great plus.
I can assure that I'm very motivated to finish this project eventually. I'm just saying that, in case there's someone who's afraid of working on a project and then finding out that it's canceled. :)

Also, here's a couple of new screenshots. (click to see larger)
Image Image Image

Take care!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

you know what have a look on a neighbouring project "Project Ninja Star" and you will see you wont get a lot of people joining :D

But please do carry on because then eventually you will find members:)

dont you think it would be easier to release a multiplayer demo (writing decent network code is easier than, writing decent AI)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

devsh wrote:dont you think it would be easier to release a multiplayer demo (writing decent network code is easier than, writing decent AI)
When you think about network synchronisation in depth it is quite a tricky subject, and at least you can debug AI code in a scientific manor without remote machines or other people.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Indeed, devsh, networking is not as simple as you seem to think. Of course it's easy to get simple packets to send between computers, but writing the whole network code is a different matter. For example, have you ever tried sending a command "player fired weapon" to the server? You can't just check for targets on your local machine, you need to do that on the server, validating each action. Keep in mind, players might be cheating and you need to make sure players are where they are supposed to be. Oh joy!

Besides I have a lot of AI code written already, and I find it much more interesting. I can put in fun stuff just to test the AI. And it all works on my machine, I don't have to worry about setting up a network and all that.
[/offtopic]

P.S. - I may have found a 3d modeler :) Let's see how that works out.
But perhaps there's someone out there, who has some great ideas for a game like this. I mean story and gameplay wise. My ideas usually end up rather unoriginal or plain boring. Or if you don't want to fully join the team, perhaps post some ideas here, so others could develop from there.

So the basic story question is:
Why would two teams battle each other. What's the reason behind it?

In Renegade it was Tiberium. Should I make it .. oil? As in last oil reservuars on the Earth? Something more interesting?
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

a lovely princess perhaps? or maybe the economic crisis somesort of event was also a start for the world war as far I can remember my history lessons. Search for "Hyper inflation Germany"

it looks very good already;)
PhattyEwok

Post by PhattyEwok »

sent a PM already but figured I would post here as well. I am really hoping I can have a chance to work on this. Was wondering what spec you were shooting for as far as tri limit and texture size goes
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Due to the fact that none of my emails were replied to, all modeler positions are open again.
I hope there's anyone interested out there :)

I also added some new screenshots. Check the first post.
fritzgryphon

Post by fritzgryphon »

This looks really cool and you've made a lot of progress, but I have a criticism that might explain the lack of interest.

This project seems very similar to a lot of popular mainstream multi-million dollar titles. Renegade, like you said, or the Battlefield series, or ArmA, etc.

The FPS with vehicles is a very crowded genre, and it seems odd to work on this kind of a game without the resources to actually be competitive with those other games. If you're going for a commercial product, it might not be unique or impressive enough to stand out. If you're making a free game, it seems like making a mod would get better results.

I suppose the game might be a programming exercise for your own education, but in that case, you probably wouldn't be looking for help.

So I'm curious about your ultimate goals for the project, and if you can highlight what would make it fundamentally different and interesting compared to other similar games.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Hi, If you need help just PM me, I'm an awesome 3D Artist(also own 3DSMax and Maya) also a great Level Designer, Im good at coding but not Thaaat good. Looking forward to playing your game. :)
roelor

Post by roelor »

Ive been following this game for ages.. Cant wait till its done, but I dont feel honourable to contribute anything (nor do I have the time/persistance to join a team).
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

ACE247 wrote:Hi, If you need help just PM me, I'm an awesome 3D Artist(also own 3DSMax and Maya) also a great Level Designer, Im good at coding but not Thaaat good. Looking forward to playing your game. :)
Plus being quite unostentatious. Sorry, couldn`t help this one, since it sounds a bit self-confident. :lol: Just joking, pal.

On the topic- the game looks like some serious project. And I love seing seroius indie dev projects around. Good luck with it! :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."