Blended Skies?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Shadow_Wolf

Blended Skies?

Post by Shadow_Wolf »

I have just recently started up with Irrlicht again, and was wondering if it could produce the same effect of what I was doing in Blitz3D... Basicly I was taking two sky-boxes and blending the second one with the first, while changing some paramaters on the second to make some really spiffy effects, is it possible to blend two sky boxes in Irrlicht without modifing the source? Thanks in advance for any in-sight you may have :D
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

yup, just get the color data from each texture, and blend it at will, then create a third texture and substitute its color data with the blended texture data.
bal

Post by bal »

Hmm, I got your way of working Asterisk Man but how do you use 2 skyboxes? Thought you could only use 1... Or do you mean changing the texture for that 1 skybox?
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Shadow_Wolf

New Question

Post by Shadow_Wolf »

Thank you for the asistiance Asterisk Man :D Though now I have one more question, so without starting another topic and taking up space, here goes. On my sky-boxes, when the view gets to much of an angle at all, the textures strech out. If you look in the example below at the planet, you'll see it's in more of an oval shape then the true circle that it is. Has anyone else had a problem like this, is it just the way sky-boxes work or something with my computer? Thanks once again :)

thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

I may be reading your question wrong Shadow_Wolf but it seems like you are saying that when the angle from the camera to the skybox is very large the skybox textures seem to strech. If the Irrlicht skyboxes are implemented as I would expect the angle of the camera to the skybox would only make a slight difference because of the perspective of the box and the distance the skybox was from the camera.

The only thing I could think that might be wrong is that maybe your skybox files are not the same width and hieght and Irrlciht is strechign them? But then again if it only happens when the camera turns a certain direction that would not be right. Hmmmmm.... This may have been a pointless post, sorry :( :?
Shadow_Wolf

Post by Shadow_Wolf »

Though it really didn't help me much, thanks for the attempt thesmileman :) Does anyone else have some insight on this problem? All of the sky-box images are 512x512 in jpg format, I've tried others but there was still no diferance :?
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Could that possibly be a result of the camera's FOV setting? Or did you already change that?
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

try camera->setFOV(3.1415f/2.0f);

that should give you a 90 degree field of vew, eliminating any fish eye view thingies and problems.