Any working Mesh-Exporter for Maya?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Squarefox2

Any working Mesh-Exporter for Maya?

Post by Squarefox2 »

Hello,

is there any working mesh-exporter for maya? I tried cvxporter and ogre mesh exporter, but I hab no satisfiing results (cvxporter had 0 polygons in IrrEdit and the ogre-mesh did not have correct textures).

I'm using Maya 8.5.

Greetings,
Squarefox
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Maybe the exporters are ok but the importers aren't ?

Did you try loading the meshes with something that doesn't use irrlicht ?
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Squarefox2

Post by Squarefox2 »

Hello!

No, i didn't. But I want to use this meshes in Irrlicht, so it is not important, whether it is the exporter or the importer. I only need a working solution.

Greetings,
Squarefox
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

There is a melscript X exporter in the forums somewhere, but its very old and may need adapting to work with the latest versions of Maya. The problem is that open source programmers don't have access to Maya unless they're part of a big studio who can afford it, Maya is mostly used by art students and warez kids.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

Dammit.

And maya's what my animators've got too. :(
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Pyritie wrote:Dammit.

And maya's what my animators've got too. :(
Well if you also have access to Maya, there's code for an X exporter that comes with the DirectX SDK but it's no good for artists alone. Also if you have all that money for Maya, why not buy an X exporter ;)

edit: in all seriousness, we'd really appreciate some kind of free Maya export pipeline. If you manage to get something working we'd be grateful if you shared it
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

I own a maya2008 and a cinema4d v7 and have successfully used cvxporter to export the same mesh with different UV's twice for using it with my 2TCoords lightmap method. Meshes arrived, UV's arrived. Both meshes had exact same amount meshbuffers with same amount of vertices & indices... worked pretty well imo, cinema's X export always failed... Try OBJ aswell...
bitplane wrote: edit: in all seriousness, we'd really appreciate some kind of free Maya export pipeline. If you manage to get something working we'd be grateful if you shared it
I absolutly agree...
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

zillion42 wrote:I own a maya2008 and a cinema4d v7 and have successfully used cvxporter to export the same mesh with different UV's twice for using it with my 2TCoords lightmap method. Meshes arrived, UV's arrived. Both meshes had exact same amount meshbuffers with same amount of vertices & indices... worked pretty well imo, cinema's X export always failed... Try OBJ aswell...
But what about animations?
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.