Resource manager

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Shane

Resource manager

Post by Shane »

Lightfeather uses a resource manager to handle what seems to be the same that the video driver and the scene manager handles in Irrlicht. Would there be any reason for Irrlicht to implement a resource manager at some point? One of the reasons for the Lightfeather project was because Irrlicht didn't have one.
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

wat
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Lightfeather is another engine that was created because irrlicht didn't have some features that was needed, and I guess it was thought that the design could be improved. So I am just wondering if anyone had an opinion on using a resource manager, why anyone would want to put one in the engine, why wasn't there one put in, etc.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, Irrlicht is working right now, seems like no Resource manager is required. Moreover, we won't change to Singletons - just to avoid further questions in this direction.
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

Does not belong to Beginners Help.

Btw. why don't you use LF instead of Irrlicht, if it is better?
Shane

Post by Shane »

I don't think its better, I think Irrlicht is better, I'm just asking a simple design question, or trying to, no big deal.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Pyritie and geckoman, i think i speak for everyone when i say this. SHUTUP. please, you are coming across as complete fools. If you dont have something HELPFUL then just keep quiet...SERIOUSLY. and dont derail this thread, if you have a problem PM me.
To Shane :

A resourceManager will be helpful for certain kinds of things. It depends on what your aims are and your understanding of what their resource manager does! what does it accomplish? do you use the resource manager to load textures? or media? if so, it might simply be counting the references to each one, and it might give functions like, release all, release all by name (like clear memory for the menu when loading a game, etc)

Irrlicht does this internally and in order to answer your question its rather a question of what the resource manager actually does? what do you think the resource manager is used for (i do have the LF svn here but im on my mac atm)

A simple resource manager wouldnt take more then a few hours if you made one yourself, its quite handy DEPENDING on what you need it for.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for your reply Fuzzy. Yeah maybe I would post the question to the LF team because I don't see why they went to all that work to add a resource manager when Irrlicht already takes care of all of that.

Thanks.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

its more about what it does.i wouldnt post it in that wording lol :)