[Help Wanted] - Irrhack

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
_Bardor_

[Help Wanted] - Irrhack

Post by _Bardor_ »

I together i'm developeing a 2d tile base game with VC++6.
(At the moment for windows but linux should be possible)
This game is more or less a graphical interface for Nethack.

I planned to go a step further as "Falcon Eye" did in his Nethack version.

Now i have a built my own stable version with the irrlicht engine.
And im looking for members who wants to join me to improve the gameplay and graphic for this game. (which is a lot of work alone).

This game will be open souce and the only honor is to have fun to develope something.

The biggest task where i'm stuck: i still don't know how i should implement the 381 diffrent monster types. I'm still not sure if it's better to work with sprites or 3d models.
At the moment the monsters are only moving images.
It would be great when someone with a little more experience will help here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/irrlichtnethack/

please let me know if you are interested.

greetings Bardor
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

A great project idea, I'm a big fan of nethack myself.. Seeing this thread makes me want to play it again!
I can't commit to join your team, but I will keep a keen eye on this project :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

After typing in a "name" the app just crashes out.
Image - The glory days.
MarcinS

Post by MarcinS »

So in general it would be an Action RGP (or how sometimes it is called hack and slash) right ? The fight will be more or less realtime based on RPG Dices / Skill tests (or as in old Rogue the game will be TurnBased..maby only fights in turns like in some Tactis games ?).. Are you going to use some physx engine or just the basic from Irllicht (i think for such type of game it should be allright) ? And Dunegons you will use same mapeditor (for quake 3 ?) or create them in worldeditor (IrrEdit?) or maby some other way (own editor that will let you create dunegons from set of various cubes with flor , walls ,traps etc.) ? And at the end of my questions do you have some documentations about the rpg system ( i know it is based ond Dnd) ... hmm and for now this is and of my boring questions :)
Bardor

Post by Bardor »

@Brkopac
After typing in a "name" the app just crashes out.
Are you using a Win32 system ?
What is the last message in the DOS box when the game crashes ?
Maybe you have some broken save files. Try to check your game folder for files called Magic-Name.x and delete them.

@MarcinS
for documentation you cn check http://www.nethack.org/
It's a turnbased rougelike game based on D&D, all levels and game contents are random (with only a few fixed maps).
Every game is diffrent and a new adventure.
I sarted to used only the basics of irrlicht.
The game itself uses the original nethack code, so there is no need for collison detection, physic effects or thinking about the rpg system. [/quote]
MarcinS

Post by MarcinS »

There is a problem with graphics and it could not get lower surface level for mip map generation and in a resoult could not create Dircetx3d9 scene.

It would be (in my opinion) nice idea to make it full 3D with camera rotation , zooming end etc with gameplay from Nethack with some adds (like in Falcon's Eye)
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

If you do decide to go 3d I'm working on a 3d rpg game engine right now using bitplanes batching mesh (which is great for generating tiled based worlds). Currently it is a pretty decent 3d tile based terrain engine and I could license it under whatever sort of open source license you want. I'd love to see this project go 3d and succeeed :-)
MarcinS

Post by MarcinS »

I started to code little engine for 3D dunegons based on 1mx1m cubes ill pust some results of my work here maby you will find it usefull :) (there will be also camera and litle AI of finding path(based on walkable / non walkable cubes) . ( I did it some time ago something like that but in 2D)
Bardor

Post by Bardor »

@MarcinS Hmm, problem with graphics do you have the newest directx version installed ? In my next release i should implement to switch to OpenGL.

@aanderse Yes, i thougt of making all 3D and i tried a little bit with scene nodes and cameras, but then i gave up to work on the game again. Your engine sounds interesting, it's worth to take a look at it, when it's easy to handle. Do you have a project page or something to look at ?
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

Let me give you a quick overview to see if the engine is anything you would actually be interested in. Key features (currently implemented) include:
  • - Fully cross platform map editor written in Qt 4.4 widget toolkit (and irrlicht, of course) which lets you place tiles down on a grid (in 3 dimensions - so you can create mountains which go up, or caves/dungeons which go down)
    - 3d tile based world which is continuous (no loading screens, streams maps in seamlessly)
    - 3d tile based world which is infinite in any direction ** (currently just infinite on the xz plane, haven't implemented infinite up/down yet, but will soon)
    - scripting interface with lua (expose bits and pieces of the engine to make it fairly moddable for users)
There are many features I haven't added yet but are on the todo list... the engine is just starting to take form. Let me put together a really small demo which basically just showcases the map engine (streaming, etc...) and you can decide. Hopefully I can have something for you by the end of the week... see if i can whip up a couple maps for you to run through.
MarcinS

Post by MarcinS »

all projects from irrlicht works but not yours so it cant be the directx problem (i use Windows Vista with directx 9.0c).
Bardor

Post by Bardor »

Hi aanderse,

i hope we can get this project to 3D, so here are some informations which could be interesting.

I don't want to change the game itself.

The originial nethack code is still running in the Background (with all objects monsters and dungeon information in 2D), the engine only have to know when a object in point(x, y) should be drawn to point (x,y,z) in your engine. The challenge is to put every 2D information in a 3D world.

I think the biggest advantage of 3D is, that the player can do things like rotating the map and zoom in/out. From the programming side it would be easier to implement new textures (when they only need to be drawn to an existing surface),additionally there will be some more possibilitys to create some effects like flying, or magic effects.
A lot of work is still to create all the 3D objects, but we have a lot of time.

- Fully cross platform map editor written in Qt 4.4 widget toolkit (and irrlicht, of course) which lets you place tiles down on a grid (in 3 dimensions - so you can create mountains which go up, or caves/dungeons which go down)

Each of the levels is max (21 x 80 tiles) and there are about 100 i think.
Most levels are random calculated by the nethack code. There are some fixed levels which can be created with an editor.

- 3d tile based world which is continuous (no loading screens, streams maps in seamlessly)
- 3d tile based world which is infinite in any direction ** (currently just infinite on the xz plane, haven't implemented infinite up/down yet, but will soon)

Max (21 x 80 tiles) For a level is not a big deal.
All level information are stored in the original nethack code and there is only a need to clear the map and read the new map by change to a diffrent level. (There is no need to look down from level 1 to level 3)
Bardor

Post by Bardor »

Hi MarcinS,

i tried to figure out whats wrong but i found nothing, which could help you.

I compiled the game on vista 64 and it runs on my notebook with win xp.
I thought i had this problem once, maybe it's a problem of some missing textures, but i'm not sure.

I have uploaded a new release, were it's possible to change the display driver in the file jtp_opts.txt.

I hope this will help.
MarcinS

Post by MarcinS »

I will check if it helps.

Oh and i am now codeing little aplication maby you will find it as a "Way in to 3D" that you ar looking for :)
deesine

Post by deesine »

Crashes for me after inputting name as well, i think it might have to do with foreign letters...? Had a look at the files and it had a somewhat scrambled name. Seems it saves with the user login name, which may contain åäö etc.