irrWizard

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
ulao

irrWizard

Post by ulao »

I'm assuming irrWizard has nothing in cooperation with irrLicht other then was designed for it? So naturally I choose open discussion. Just wanted to ask any members out there that use it a few things.

The forum, dead, cant register, admin wont reply to email, why?

Does it work with 1.5

is it even being developed any more?

I get "cannot instantiate abstract class" when trying to compile against the 1.5. The members are virtual.. Anyone see this before?

I know its not a big "needed" tool but its a nice feature that could be handy. Not going to put a lot of effort in to this but figure it can hurt to ask. Though, I have been wrong about that before...
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Just take a look at the API changes of irrlicht and modify the irrWizard source. Should not take long.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah if you look at the IrrWizard thread (in the project announcement forum) you'll probably notice that it's not had an update, probably for a few years now i think...

It should work fine with Irrlicht 1.5 I should imagine but you'll just have to make the necessary updates yourself.

A lot of things have probably changed in the API since IrrWizard was last released so if the compiler says functions are virtual and need to be implemented it's most likely due to the function signature changing in some way. With the event receiver's OnEvent function for example the event parameter changed from SEvent to const SEvent&, so you'll probably need to update that in any OnEvent functions. In ISceneNode some of the functions changed their s32 parameters/returns to u32 and became const functions, so that would need to be updated too.

Basically any classes that complain in the compiler check the API for what the functions should look like and update them.
Image Image Image
ulao

Post by ulao »

thx guys.

She compiles!!

I ran the "core" version and in the game if you move forward it moves you until it hits a colliding object (drawing no frame in between) .

I'm not making an FPS so its irrelevant to me as that code is going to change, but encase anyone reads this, I dont know what the deal is.

Like the guys above said its fairly easy changes, but if anyone needs to know what I did ask.
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

Is really useful irrWizard for a FPS Project?
Is better build my own design??
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Imho it is always better to build your own design when writing something than using things like the wizard (you have total control and so on). But on the other hand: you have to know that it's quite a lot of work until you have it running the way you want it to, so why not start with the wizard and adapt it to your needs?
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@Brainsaw:

I will use for now IrrWizard FPS

Thanks.

People I have a problem.
I'm making the corresponding changes to IrrWizard to compile. I have Irrlicht 1.5, but I have a function that doesn't compile.

File:
tinyxml.h

Function Code:

Code: Select all

inline static bool	IsWhiteSpace( char c )		
{ 
    return ( isspace( (unsigned char) c ) || c == '\n' || c == '\r' );
}
Error Message:
isspace: ambiguous call to overloaded function

Then I look in isspace's function:
s32 irr::core::isspace ( s32 c )

Ok, I change the code to:

{ 
    return ( isspace( (irr::s32) c ) || c == '\n' || c == '\r' );
}
But I get the same error message.

SOLVED!!!:

I need to include the following:

#include "coreutil.h"
And to modify the following:

{ 
    return ( irr::core::isspace( (irr::s32) c ) || c == '\n' || c == '\r' );
}
JP

Post by JP »

The camera issue is because the movement speed parameter to the FPS camera creation function of scene manager has changed and should be much much smaller now.
Image Image Image
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

Finally I can compile and link the application. Then I run the application (FPS FrameWork) and I do the following:

(1) I click in Play
(2) I can shoot and reload, move the camera with mouse and change weapon.
(3) If I use the movement keys (W, A, S, D) the quake map dissapear and I only see the SkyBox.
(4) If I press the shoot button, the application throws an exception that says:
Unhandled exception in 0x004109ff in IrrWizardFPS.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000
JP

Post by JP »

read my above post for the camera movement issue.

for the crash, use a debugger to find out where and why it's crashing ;)
Image Image Image
stash

Post by stash »

Its the new version available?
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

I get the following error message in the console window when I run the application:

"Error while loading NavGraph
NavGraph file malformed or is not there
Failed to open file at line :0"

Do you know what is NavGraph?
JP

Post by JP »

NavGraph sounds like a graph for navigating, probably for the AI. Apparently it's not there!
Image Image Image
peacerosetx

Post by peacerosetx »

@ Niko_Bertoa

It appears that the NavGraph is loaded from an external XML file.

Here is a quote from the SourceForge on this update:
Just a minor detail, the level NavGraph for A* pathfinding can now be loaded in from an external XML file.

If the file doesn't exist, then it will be loaded from the hard coded data as normal.

Classes of interest:
CGamePathManager.cpp
CGamePathManager.h
Here is the url link where they have the code to help you to hopefully resolve the issue:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php ... id=575262

Also, as mentioned the irrWizard had references to Matt Buckland who does great AI and discusses a NavGraph. However, to answer your question briefly, a NavGraph is basically a path--comprised typically of nodes. The full name is a "Navigation Graph."

Here is an excerpt from Buckland's free book on AI that defines a NavGraph more fully.
To determine a path from A to B using a search algorithm such as those discussed in Chapter 5, a game environment must be partitioned into a data structure the algorithms can explore: a navigation graph. Because there are many ways of representing the geometry that makes up a game world — tile-, vector-, or polygon-based for example — it's hardly surprising there are numerous methods of converting the pertinent spatial information into a graph-like data structure.
Peace.
___Trusting in the Lord