[Help Wanted] - Irrhack

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

Bardor,

I think the engine I'm working on isn't well suited for what you want to do, but I do think that making your game 3d wouldn't be too much work. Given you already have all the map data it would be easy enough to create a 3d world from it 1 level at a time. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Bardor

Post by Bardor »

When i use some letters like äöü, the safefilename is scrambled, thats true,
but my game doesn't crash then. I will write this on my long buglist :)

The other problem "could not get lower surface level for mip map generation" should be part of the irrlich code and i have to figure out what causes this problem.

@aanderse i thought you would say that, but thanks for the support.

@marcins "Way in to 3D" sounds interesting, because i'm a noob in the irrlicht 3D possibilitys. I hope your application can bring me in a better starting position.
deesine

Post by deesine »

Tried with a different user name without strange letters and still got the crash.

So I ran it from the commandline and it read "DIRECT3D9 begin scene failed." which I think you guys have already touched upon.
_Bardor_

Post by _Bardor_ »

Allright, I figured out how to build my world in 3D and how to set the f* cam.

First I started with some terrain scene nodes, but then I found out it takes too much time to create them at runtime.
Now, I use (21 x 80) AnimatedMeshSceneNodes (for each map location one).
When a new tile need to be created at runtime.
I set a basic hill plane mesh to this node and load a map texture (each 512 x 512 in size) on that (floors/walls).

I works good, but when the whole map is visible (detected) the game will slow down.
Has anyone a better solution or is this a good way to create some 3D tiles?

On the other hand, does someone know if it’s possible to have some half transparent walls, created this way? Even when loaded some half transparent *.png textures, they appear to be solid.

@MarcinS & deesine
Did you tried to run the game in OpenGL?

I still found no solution which causes Direct3D to be failed.
Since I use only the basic stuff like in any tutorial like:
device = CreateDevice(),
driver->getTexture(),
beginScene(),
endScene()
there should be no problem.
MarcinS wrote: all projects from irrlicht works but not yours so it can’t be the directx problem
Are this projects use the new Irrlicht 1.5 *.dll?
Sorry, but im still thinking of a driver problem or something sililar.
In windows it’s possible to check the DirectX from
Startmenu->Run “dxdiag”
Does the Direct3D 9.0c Test succeed?

To create a playable version I have to build all Objects as 3D Objects and this is my next step.
Now, I will crawl back to the hole that I came and don’t go out until summer (or until the game is playable).
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

You need to batch all your meshes into as few buffers as possible, drawing them all in one call would be fastest. You can use this mesh type to do it
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
deesine

Post by deesine »

I kinda let this slide, but yeah, I compiled and ran it in opengl just fine. Though the sprites weren't masked from what I could tell, they had a red fill which made things hard to see.
_Bardor_

Post by _Bardor_ »

@bitplane Thanks for the link, but all tiles in my levels are dynamic, so I can’t use your class. Good news is, I found out how to draw the parts of my map.
I only have to create only these parts which will be new as an Octree Scene node.
My first idea was to delete the node and create a new one, and then I found out that textures on these nodes can easily be changed by replacing the texture.
This works fine. :)

First I was feared of creating a 3D game, but after I figured out how to work with nodes, cameras, meshes and textures, i know that creating a 3D game with Irrlicht is much easier than a 2D game, because all functions are already inside.
Now I can delete 25% of my sourcecode. :)
Only the start was a little bit confusing, because there are many different node/camera types which may be better documented (when to use what type?).

I stopped my work on Irrhack for now.
My new Project will be called Nethack 3D and can be found here, soon:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nethack3d/

Geetings
Bardor