[Help Wanted] - Realms of Forlorn Hope

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

hehe, yeah... yesterday I had a segmentation fault.... (best error ive gotten at run time) so it took some time to track that down and fix it. And this morning i forgot to turn it on before I left for school :(. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade this weekend maybe so the server can be on 24/7.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

possible reason:
Quote:
Also the server is only online 7am-9pm GMT -6
hmm wonder how i didnt catch that. I definately cant wait until its back up again. @insom (offtopic): you see any of lamex's new screens for the new world on gekk?

Post by Insomniacp »

Yeah, I have seen them. ROFH will get to that soon enough... as far as maps go the only thing missing is changing textures, once that is added I think that the maps will look the same or even better since I can randomly assign different colors to the ground so grass won't be one shade over and over it would vary giving a more realistic feel.
lostclimategames

so when is this going to be back up?

Post by Insomniacp »

it actually came back up today... I had a large issue with segmentation faults followed by an oops with the update function with npc's, anyway this weekend resolved all of that and I am able to continue now. npc stuff should get finished up this week.
lostclimategames

hmm... still getting a connection failure

just wondering if the server is up again, or if my errors are on my side. or was this just planned as a 1 day thing?

Post by Insomniacp »

the server is on and off these days, there has been a lot of work on it so i can't really say if it will be on or off. I try to get it on after I work on it during my programing class at school but sometimes i get errors that I don't have time to fix, once things progress a bit more i will make a test server on a different port so that I can test my updates while the server is running for everyone else. Anyway, started client side npc handling. Theoretically npc's spawn, move, target and will attack once attacking is implemented. Though un-viewable with current client version. Right now I am working on the next version of the client, making things work fully so you can use the gui, make a character, set start stats and things like that so the game is playable instead of just there. I am estimating the next release to be in a couple of weeks, which will include, attacking, npcs, store, complete gui, leveling, actual maps, and physics... maybe a few weeks, forgot I needed to do collisions still. So once everything above is added I will do a complete test making sure everything works and everything is fine. Then we will do our beta release. There may be small patches here and there between now and then but no guarantees. Good stopping points are hard to come by at this point. Sure seeing an npc is fine but being able to do nothing with it is pointless. We are still looking for graphic artists to help out on the graphics end. We currently have one 3d artist working, one 2d artist and a concept artist. I would like more 3d artists since once the beta hits I would like a new map atleast once a week, maps are very easy to add I just want to keep new things in them, monsters, objects and things like that. We also need a lot of weapons and equipment type things of all types. I feel I have rambled enough about the state of the game, I do wonder if anyone else reads this...
lostclimategames

well i just re installed xp 64bit and now i know there is no xp64 support :D

Post by Insomniacp »

hehe, nope, I don't think irrlicht supports 64 bit, if it does it will take me a lil to make it friendly for you. We will see :P.
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

Irrlicht support 64bit
After rev 2286 there is a better readme for VC8 64bit
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

fancy, I will have to read up on it in a bit. will make my bro happy as well. Anyway, the server has been officially isolated. Being it only uses remote connection, this saves space and things of the like. the server will probably get upgraded in a bit aswell. I will probably move it out of my room tonight so it will be on 24/7 if i do. Which is good news for most people. Though i don't think anyone would ever be online long. Once things get running it will be fun and people will be able to actually play. (few weeks hopefully)
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

I updated the front page the other day, forgot to let you all know. Anyway a new version of the game should be available in the next few weeks which will make it actually playable instead of just a rough demo. There will be combat, leveling, npc's, and the gui should be more functional.
lostclimategames

any word on 64 bit support yet?

EDIT: actually it does work now, but for some reason it says my name is insomniac.

Post by Insomniacp »

yeah.... I think in that version it doesn't apply the player info but uses a hard coded value for things. The new client has your name and level there. So i guess we support 64 bit (fancy no work :D)