Offical cAudio 1.7 RELEASE!!!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
wildrj

Offical cAudio 1.7 RELEASE!!!

Post by wildrj »

Hey everyone its been a while and i bet some of you guys thought cAudio was dead but it isnt. After working on cAudio for a while and discussing it with dark_kilauea we found a need for a rewrite so here it is. cAudio is a full rewrite of the internal workings of cAudio.

Special thanks to Dark_Kilauea

Download: http://www.deathtouchstudios.com

New Features:
*Easily expandable plugin feature *Makes adding codecs easy*
*Full Support for virtual file systems
*Global IAudio Object for all file formats.
*Wav support.
*Fully functioning streaming support.

Losses:
*MikMod

Now has you notice i did say we lost mikmod support. In reality we can get it back but it would require someone to write a codec for cAudio and i currently dont have the time. In short though Ogg,and wav support codecs are standard. Im hoping to see the community create additional codecs. Documentation is actually useful now. As of right now there arnt any know bugs so please post on the forums if any are found.

cAudio 1.7 Is under the zLib license.
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Some things I think were left out. Codecs are now an abstract class that you can inherit from in your application. This means that you can create a codec reader to handle any audio file you desire (at least in theory).

We also fixed streaming on all supported OS's. You can choose whether to stream from a file or load the file into memory and play it that way.

Adding virtual files systems may take a small modification to the engine, but there is an abstract class that you can inherit from that the internal engine uses, making it much easier.

Hope you guys like this release and please help out with additional codecs.

Thanks.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
3DModelerMan

hmmm

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Is their going to be a windows MSVC8 build available?
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
sudi

Re: hmmm

Post by sudi »

3DModelerMan wrote:Is their going to be a windows MSVC8 build available?
Do u have MSVC8 installed?
then build it yourself. the codeblocks file has the option to compile using MSVC.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

I'm curiosu as to why there was only a linux build. I have the source code for 1.7 and will try to compile it with codeblocks, but it is still odd why it was only for linux this time
sudi

Post by sudi »

well simply bc i provided the windows builds last time and this time i didn't....
but hey its source code and the needed libs are shipped. why don't u guys simply hit compile???
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

laziness I guess, although I did get some errors when I did compile, probably just need to set the correct paths
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Mmmm, zlib, my favourite. It seems nice and easy to use :) But I remember when using OpenAL, isn't there a limit to the number of sounds playing at once or something? (channels???) So how do you handle this in cAudio? Or are there so many channels this should not be a problem?
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

afaik, there doesn't seem to be a limit on channels. If the hardware is limited, the sound should be mixed in software by the driver.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Ok, great :)
3DModelerMan

compiling

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I'm compiling caudio and I get some error
"cannot find -lmikmod" what is this?

My first full game:
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

Any chance to get a Mac port anytime soon? It shouldn't be too hard.

Sherry Haibara
3DModelerMan

hmm

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Does anyone have a build for code::blocks minGW? I cant get it to work.

My first full game: