[help] Blender-Exported files (.x, .3ds) don't work

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Silveer

[help] Blender-Exported files (.x, .3ds) don't work

Post by Silveer »

A friend created a cool snake-head for my "snake-project" with blender.
An other small model he created worked fine ...
The problem is, i can't view the model in irrlicht. I don't know what i'm doing wrong >_>

Could it be that the model has too many triangels ? or something like that ? Must he create his model with less triangels ?

i tryed everything i knew ...

I uploaded the files (it's everytime the same snake-head), he exported it with the blender-intern-exporter, one is an .x and the other a .3ds file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03CX92J4

So plz help me :)
Last edited by Silveer on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

I didnt download the file, because 17 MB is gigantic for one snake head, so Im guessing yes it has WAY too many triangles :)

Try reducing it with the decimate modifier, and then export using .b3d, it works the best between irrlicht and blender.

I dont think irrlicht supports a .3df file Ive never heard of it.
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
Silveer

Post by Silveer »

Hmmm yeah, ok too many triangels ^^'
btw, sry i've had the file ending wrong in my memory, the 2. was a 3ds file ^^''
and its size is 7.5mb :o
the .x file has a size of 82mb
ok i guess it's really too big for irrlicht, we'll now try to reduce the trangles :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, the files are pretty huge. Moreover, the 3ds seems to be simply wrong (the vertex count doesn't fit) and the .x file uses quads which slows down the whole thing a lot. Maybe try again with triangulated data.
Silveer

Post by Silveer »

ok, now we have created an .x file with a size about 1mb, and it works fine :)