Project Ninja Star - help wanted - ported to windows on 26th

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Prott

Post by Prott »

It`s like a real camera. When a scene is too dim, the electronic amplify the CCD`s output, so it starts to degrade the image quality in some way (you can simulate it by adding noise texture over the current render). On the other hand - it simulates a real camera, not a real eyes. You hardly ever see a noise with your own eyes, so it could be distracting (same for over-the-top depth of field - your own eyes can`t recognize DOF that much. Maybe it looks good, but it could be also distracting :wink: ).
Btw. you can see it here:
The worst noise is on the right.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

how do i get the noise values in GLSL?
Prott

Post by Prott »

Not so easy. You need to get a random value (for a random noise) for each pixel (so you can`t use callback).
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Normally you'd use one of the built-in noise value. However they are not to badly supported. What you can do is google Perlin noise or even better, especially with what you plan on doing, simplex noise.

Find an implementation, at app start, generate a texture (or many). You can pick different size or different position for various colors if you want it to look something else than gray.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

the truth is that GLSL noise1 through 4 are built in functions, but GUESS WHAT THEY DONT WORK, They return 0 and the compiler doesn't even warn you that it is a not yet implemented. All the perlin and simplex noise shaders are FFing 5 pages long, SO STUFF IT and i just downloaded a texture that was made using some noise thingie.

I will post screenshots soon of the camera grain
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

yeah, you can just make your own filter lookup image, thats what most people do anyways.

Post by Dorth »

I first warn you that the noise functions don't work (as is documented both in OpenGL GLSL specs and NVidia's docs). Then I give you the alternative you should use (which takes less than 10 minutes to google and then put in place) and you friggin insult me?

You are pretty much the definition of a rotten apple, and as you have been kicked out elsewhere, in time, you'll be kicked out from here too.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

That was my general message to the world, of my frustration BECAUSE I'M REWRITING MY CODE (oh yes holy re-write mends all segmentation faults, bugs and leaks, something winblows needed from 95 upwards). It was not directed personally against you, like the next sentence. LEARN TO READ WITH UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU HAVE READ!

P.S. yes last line very true.

P.S.S Is that the warning about the functions not implemented, cause this makes no sense to me
However they are not to badly supported.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

devsh you need to remember when you say something on the internet there is no such thing as tone of voice or visual selection of a target so if you reply to someone and you start talking insultingly in all caps they are going to think that they mean them, whether that was the intent or not. As for the reply a simple, "that was not my intention" would have been perfect, and actually insulting them because of that is a bit childish and rude.
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

yeah right i tend to forget that.
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

Therefore we've invented smileys. To express our feelings... :shock: :x
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

so i have added noise, there is room for improvement (using more sophisticated functions to make animated "changing noise"). At the moment the noise is static.

ofcourse screenshots cannot give teh true represenation of the effect, but if you look closely (with you noses in your monitors) you can faintly see the edge of the overhang on the right side covered by grain.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

official sys req

Minimum - Damn Small Linux
800Mhz Pentium 3 or AMD equivalent
nvidia 4 series + or ati equivalent
256mb of RAM

Minimum - Ubuntu
1.2Ghz Pentium 4 or AMD equivalent
nvidia 6 series + or ati equivalent
512mb of RAM

Reccomended
2Ghz Pentium or AMD
nvidia 9600GT or higher
512mb RAM
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I have made some improvements on my water, basically you can set WaterClearness which becomes the far plane of the water refraction cam.

the is a catch
even though the elements not visible become of the water color, i get a nasty plane dragging across when i move away. I need something like fade to ensure smooth transition (maybe reverse of bloom, let the dark colors leek out).
Prott

Post by Prott »

devsh wrote:so i have added noise, there is room for improvement (using more sophisticated functions to make animated "changing noise"). At the moment the noise is static.
You can always implement noise by putting 2D billboard in front of camera (either moving or with animated texture). But shader is shader. And it`s next-gen! :lol:
btw. I doesn`t look like noise. Structure is different, also noise is smaller - because it`s caused by every pixel. In digital noise, every pixel has it`s different value (which you add to it`s RGB).