Code conversion examples for (Visual) Basic(.NET) users?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bogo911

Code conversion examples for (Visual) Basic(.NET) users?

Post by bogo911 »

i'm writing this on behalf of my friend who is illiterate to English:

my friend recently got to know of Irrlicht and is totally fascinated with it. But the problem is that he still is a (Visual) BASIC(.NET) person with an intention to learn C++/C# soon (simply to use Irrlicht).

for the time being, he desperately needs:

1) C++ --> BASIC Code converter for Irrlicht SDK, OR
2) examples of Irrlicht SDK code coverted into BASIC.

your help will be greatly appreciated!

David.
vipergc

Now is the time

Post by vipergc »

You said your friend has the intentions of learning C... if he intends on using Irrlicht... now is the time for him to do just that... I have written a boatload of code in visual basic and while it is certainly conceivable to use the DLL in VB... I would highly suggest that now is the time for your friend to delve into C.... visual basic is a great language and in the hands of an experienced programmer can exhibit amazing speed ... however.. due to the intense nature of 3D games and in spite of the fact that a great portion of that is handled by Irrlicht, C would be the better choice for 3D application development. VB does so much in the background in handling types and conversions, that even with a very knowledgeable programmer, its going to be difficult to write truly playable 3D applications in VB.
Co-Inventor of ZIP files.

Hardware - play with it long enough.. it BREAKS
Software - play with it long enough.. it WORKS
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

C will not help using Irrlicht since it's written in C++
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
vipergc

Post by vipergc »

Technically you are absolutely correct... C and C++ are two different entities.... however, I used C in my text since most compilers invoke C++ in one form or another anyway... I was being generic.. not to mention... I would wager that most people couldn't list the differences between the two.. I still have the white book sitting on my shelf...LOL

Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

The differences are stark, especially because we are talking about an object oriented API here.
vipergc

Post by vipergc »

Indeed.. the differences are stark... however.. I think some are missing the main point here... and that is... that the better choice for them is not VB.. but C++

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Mabye the FreeBasic wrapper for Irrlicht would help here, or you check the .NET wrapper together with VB.