avoid see through mesh?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ulao

avoid see through mesh?

Post by ulao »

I have a model that has an open end and when rotated just right you can see from the inside out. Is there an inexpensive(CPU) way to ovoid that, or is it best to close my models?
Nox

Post by Nox »

maybe a little picture would help but i guess you mean the backfaceculling. If you look at a triangles from backwards the triangle will be culled (if the renderstate is set). Solutions: change the triangleculling or insert a innersurface into the model.
Jesterstear

Post by Jesterstear »

This happened to me a lot in DarkBasic Pro.

Flip the face that is giving you the problem, may fix it.
Acki

Post by Acki »

changing backface culling will make the inner sides black, I think it's not wanted here...
flipping the face(s) will make them transparent from the front side, so I think not an option here...

I think the best solution is to close the mesh or make inner surfaces... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
ulao

Post by ulao »

Acki wrote:changing backface culling will make the inner sides black, I think it's not wanted here...
flipping the face(s) will make them transparent from the front side, so I think not an option here...

I think the best solution is to close the mesh or make inner surfaces... ;)
- I agree, but I could deal with black faces in side so I may try that..

Jesterstear, you unlocked months of forgotten pain, dont mention DB ( GDK ) it hurts!!!

Out of curiosity. Since all textures default to backface cullin, will turning them all to false slow things down? Is this why it defaults to true.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

ulao wrote: Out of curiosity. Since all textures default to backface cullin, will turning them all to false slow things down? Is this why it defaults to true.
Yes, it has to draw twice the triangles if it's off.