Igor - 3D FPS

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Nikko_Bertoa

Igor - 3D FPS

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

Hi irrlicht community. This is my FPS demo, using Irrlicht and IrrWizard. I need all the feedback.

Genre: FPS

Download link:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/3198529088/Igor.rar

Game Website:
http://nicolasbertoa.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/igor/

The objective is to get to the end of the level without dying. The level has a final boss. You can use two differents weapons with differents features.
Last edited by Nikko_Bertoa on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mux

Post by Mux »

A bit of feedback:
*Enemies tend to stack
*You need a more original level
*If that was the first level boss of the game it seems to be a bit too tough.
But all in all it's a nice first try, better than mine :wink:
It'll only take a minute or two to debug this code...
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

Certainly a nice start. I just look at this and think of how much I must do to my own game to get it to do similar things to yours and know that there is a lot of code involved...
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@Mux:
Enemies tend to stack

Can you tell me the game situation??
You need a more original level
Yes, I totally agree, the level is the most knowed quake map jeje. I will put waypoints in another map for the second level.
If that was the first level boss of the game it seems to be a bit too tough.
Maybe I need a less hard enemy,

Thanks !!

@d3jake:
I began with Irrwizard that is a game framework. Check http://irrwizard.sourceforge.net .
I think that it is an excellent place to begin. You need to understand the code and fix some errors and then you can develop a FPS like mine. Later I will upload the Igor's source code.

Thanks !!
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

The game I'm trying to make is an FPS, but it's also a 6DoF, so some things are different... I'll look into it though.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

The jumping was broken. The last enemy was impossible, also the enemies A.I could have more work on them. Not just follow you and deal high amount of damage if they succeed on attacking you. Also the stacking happens pretty often in the game.

Otherwise, it's a nice so far =)
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@Cloudef:
The jumping was broken.
Yes, I'm searching for a camera much better than Irrlicht FPS default camera or fix the jump.
The last enemy was impossible, also the enemies A.I could have more work on them. Not just follow you and deal high amount of damage if they succeed on attacking you.
I use random numbers for enemies's attack algorithm. I think I will need a better way to do that.
Also the stacking happens pretty often in the game.

Thanks!!!
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

I ran away the enemies, and came back. They surprised me at corner and were stacked.
Mux

Post by Mux »

About the stacking: It seems that two or more enemies spawn at the same spot and when they start moving both follows the same pattern at the same time. Maybe you could check so that the spawn point is free before spawning an enemy.

Btw, one more thing: Health items disappears even if the health is at max when the player touches them.
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@Mux:
About the stacking: It seems that two or more enemies spawn at the same spot and when they start moving both follows the same pattern at the same time. Maybe you could check so that the spawn point is free before spawning an enemy.
The enemies spawn at a random waypoint.
I don't consider collisions between the enemies and then the enemies overlap at the same point. When you kill one of them, you think that the enemy spawn in the same point, but you has another enemy in the same point too.

Btw, one more thing: Health items disappears even if the health is at max when the player touches them.
I think that is the better way.
Mux

Post by Mux »

I think that is the better way.

Ah, it's a feature. I thought it was a bug since the health didn't go up.
cr33

Post by cr33 »

if u shoot at the sky, bullet/projectile appears in camera position
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@cr33:
if u shoot at the sky, bullet/projectile appears in camera position
Yes, I didn't see that. Thanks!!!
Malgodur

Post by Malgodur »

1. I stand in front of enemy and he cant hit me?
2. Enemy flied out trough the wall?!
3. Game sometimes "lost sound engine", i mena that the nothing is played after that
4. When i look down, press s and space i jump?
Nikko_Bertoa

Post by Nikko_Bertoa »

@Malgodur:
1. I stand in front of enemy and he cant hit me?
This is because the attack distance < camera-enemy distance. I need to add more waypoints maybe.
2. Enemy flied out trough the wall?!
Maybe there are some bad adjacents waypoints.
3. Game sometimes "lost sound engine", i mena that the nothing is played after that

I didn't have this problem, I will check this.
4. When i look down, press s and space i jump?
Yes, I need to find a better way to implement "jump" function. I use FPS camera scene node and collision animator, but this doesn't work good.

Thanks !!!