The Irrlicht Game - every1 involved

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Like the idea of people getting together and making a game that everybody has a say in designing

you are an idiot
38%
common idea noble but wont work
41%
great lets go
22%

Total votes: 74

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Not sure when will my Google mail get activated, I'm still figuring out how to login to Gmail though I have an account already created. Dunno why Google hold my gmail account. Hmmmm.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok lets meet up on irc everyone interested (i rarelay use irc get me a place to meet and certain time)

Howabout we go all in on this one, make it a nice showcase????

GET IT ON THE EFFING XBOX!!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

i got 3 dev kits for it (trying to obtain license for the last one)
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

Don't have x-box and ther's no chance for me to obtain devkit for it in Poland :p

IRC would be great.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

have a PS3???

I could get a devkit for that, but open-ES???
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

Only PC :(

WTF? How you get all that devkits?
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I have friends!!!

anyways we would actually have to pay $10000 each to PS3 and Xbox360 if we decided to release, that is how it works. But we can worry about that later.

So the game is quite interesting....

RPS matrix like, with only one life if you screw up your savegames are erased!!! (there will be easier modes with lets say 10 lives).
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

well xbox 360 = Phail M$ is evil, unless we work the shitty XNA and ressurect irrlicht .net there is no way on this earth to dev for 360 unless we beg some charity for $10000

as it goes for PS3, i have heard about no one being able to produce hello world without the $ony dev machine which no matter how nice my friends are but it wont make it out of the EA studio, but yet it has an affordable price only $2000 and is similar to devving for an iphone. So if we make a good game, finish it and it gains popularity maybe people could make donations for it... and finally we would get $2000
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

Is there some devkit documentation for ps3? Don't know how to write games for it. I have rode somewhere it's hard to code anything for that.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

well still need to buy the dev machine, it is not hard to code for... dead similar to iphone OGL-ES but a bit customised. All the problems are that you would kinda need to rewrite some irrlicht stuff so it happens in threads, So as soon as the irrlicht device starts the thing spawns 3 threads, main for OGL calls, one for decoding stuff like zip files, loading meshes, making terrain, Handling Input instead of input receiver, networking basically the junk thread all these bits not big enough to have a separate thread. Another one for Level of Detail and some forms of occlusion. this is because PC games are coded for a maximum of 2 cores = 2 threads, while the xbox has 3 so the developers can manage to use the third core for loading stuff and some audio and all the other junk. But when you have 7 slightly less clocked cores then you need to rewrite big portions of code if you are making a port.

so back to our count down, we have used 3 threads so far.

4) audio and 3d audio and audio effects processing
5) physics
6) physics second thread (could include number 7 as well)
7) deformable (cloth plus object deformation) physics calculation of deformation OR some spare thread

that is why people say it is hard to code for and also openGL-ES is an API that you wouldn't expect to find on a most powerful console the world has ever seen, you'd rather expect oGL 2.1 with a 3.0 update
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

It started as a community project, but it looks like you've already lost interest from most of the community. That's not strange, though, as the first steps that this project made were right into a canyon. I can see two clear reasons for this: lack of management and pushing ideas approved only by a few people. Lets look at them individually.

First, the lack of management. Almost from the very beginning of this thread people have warned that a project such as this one needs strong management. As you'll be working with different people, each with its own idea of the "perfect" game, it's almost inevitable that there are going to be arguments. Someone needs to handle that, otherwise the team will fall apart in no time or will never see new members joining. That means that this person will need to be accepted as the main authority; the final word is for this person. As someone said before, you're going to need a "guiding vision": someone who will keep the project on track, someone who will motivate the team. This isn't a task to be taken lightly and it requires a certain level of professionalism. I once tried to combine it with various different position within a game development team and I failed horribly. Also, to give you an example of a project with a good management and leadership: Linux Kernel

Now lets move on to my second point. When you're starting it's smart to keep all your options open. You're already talking about XBoxes, PS3s, a modified Irrlicht, PhysX, etc. For my idea this project has already almost nothing to do with Irrlicht anymore. Ask yourself first what you want to accomplish. What kind of game do you want to make? What is our audience? etc.

I would advise to hit the reset-button now and start over, because the ground is coming nearer and nearer. You'll be saving yourself a lot of work. Also, the idea isn't completely impossible if you plan it carefully. ;)
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Agreed!
sudi

Post by sudi »

well i really think an irrlicht community project should use the current irrlicht release for pc windows/linux/mac. i would favor one of the first two operating systems. Then like ZCCdark203 said talk about a game idea before u start dreaming about threaded programming on a ps3 really...

anyway just listen to ZCCdark203....
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

If somebody bothered to look on the googlecode website, they would see that m_krzywy and me are the final authority cause nobody else bothered...

so our word is final, I reckon we will be organised this way because I had been accused of taking over the whole thing by some lazy people some time ago. Having two people at the top is very nice because nobody feels there is a massive god at the top who bends everything to their own will.

The game is a Role Playing Shooter, about M$ making a virtual reality and kidnapping people for tests and is supported by many governments due to the fact of the world being overpopulated. The whole plot is not my idea, I just insisted on the evil faceless company to be M$.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Sudi wrote:well i really think an irrlicht community project should use the current irrlicht release for pc windows/linux/mac. i would favor one of the first two operating systems. Then like ZCCdark203 said talk about a game idea before u start dreaming about threaded programming on a ps3 really...

anyway just listen to ZCCdark203....
Well Mac will have to be abandoned due to the phisics middleware (no PhysX for Mac), I am so sorry to announce because mac has 10% market share while linux has the 6th of that.