Sirrf version 0.2.1 released! (30/08/2009)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
ZCCdark203

Sirrf version 0.2.1 released! (30/08/2009)

Post by ZCCdark203 »

Sirrf - Simple Irrlicht Framework - version 0.2.1 released!

0.2.1 is here, 9 days later the simple irrlicht framework team re-emerges with a feature and bug release. Some bugs have been fixed and some new features introduced, the changes include :
  • Script-side GameStates
    It is now truely possible to derive from the GameState class (through CGameState) in scripts. A bug in previous versions prevented this, but this bug has now been fixed.

Script-side Components
    EntityComponent can be derived from script-side (through CEntityComponent), classes in script can now create components and register them with entities from script or engine side.

Script-side Events
    The event system is now integrated into the script engine. Script-side classes can derive from IHasSlots and can register, connect and disconnect from slot events.

Important Bug Fixes:
    • Construction of entity components with parent is now relatively safe. If you are not sure whether your component has a parent, check it after construction. If the component has no parent, destroy it as quickly as possible

AssetProcessors on windows were never loading assets unless the files were all lowercase, restrictions were irrlicht related but solved.

Minor bug fixes with script side things, Scolor fixes, asset groups on entities and much, much more.

Useful links
SourceForge.net page - http://sourceforge.net/projects/sirrf
Downloads - http://sourceforge.net/projects/sirrf/files/ | http://www.ohloh.net/p/sirrf/download?package=Sirrf
Documentation - http://sirrf.sourceforge.net/docs/0.2.1/ | http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sirrf/ ... als/v0.2.1 (New!)
Last edited by ZCCdark203 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Thats some cool news, ill keep testing it.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Nice to hear. Good job.

I've downloaded your latest trunk and there is no GCC makefile or Visual Studio solution.
Also no HelloWorld example or any media to work with.

I'd like to test stuff but it would be easier if you let me start with a HelloWorld project I can play with..
Just a little comment from a fellow programmer.

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it (so I can learn from your project and apply what I like into mine :D ).

P.S
I've answered the questions you've asked me in the other forum..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

MasterGod wrote:Nice to hear. Good job.

I've downloaded your latest trunk and there is no GCC makefile or Visual Studio solution.
Also no HelloWorld example or any media to work with.

I'd like to test stuff but it would be easier if you let me start with a HelloWorld project I can play with..
You can generate a GCC makefile or a Visual Studio solution with CMake. Sirrf does support CMake. So, you could use that in the meanwhile. But I'm definitely interested in adding out-of-the-box support for other IDEs and build systems (contributions are welcome, by the way).

As for a little demo project. That would indeed be an interesting idea. I already thought about it, but decided that releasing the core of the framework was more important. Now I've time for that, though.
MasterGod wrote:Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it (so I can learn from your project and apply what I like into mine :D ).
I'm glad to hear that, but remember that it's still beta software. ;)
MasterGod wrote:P.S
The other forum? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean with this. Do you mean the other thread?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

ZCCdark203 wrote:
MasterGod wrote:P.S
The other forum? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean with this. Do you mean the other thread?
Oops :oops: !
I've completely confused you with another guy.. hehe.. :lol:
Just forget about it :P .
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Hi,

I just searched for scripting on the web and the forum and AngelScript seems worth taking a closer look at. My question: did you add AngelScript so that all/some/most functions of the Irrlicht objects can be called? This would be cool, it might then be possible to seperate it from your project so that just scripting is added (which is what I'm looking for).
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

MasterGod wrote: I'd like to test stuff but it would be easier if you let me start with a HelloWorld project I can play with..
I just added a new tutorial called "Creating your first Game State". It's certainly not a substitution for a demo, but it should get people on track.

http://apps.sf.net/trac/sirrf/wiki/Tutorials/v0.1.0
Brainsaw wrote:Hi,

I just searched for scripting on the web and the forum and AngelScript seems worth taking a closer look at. My question: did you add AngelScript so that all/some/most functions of the Irrlicht objects can be called? This would be cool, it might then be possible to seperate it from your project so that just scripting is added (which is what I'm looking for).
I'm afraid that I'll have to disappoint you. Sirrf provides AngelScript bindings for primitive value types of Irrlicht (vector2d, etc). Sirrf does not provide AngelScript bindings for other Irrlicht classes. Instead, most classes and functions are encapsulated in components. I figured that this would be easier and safer.

Binding Irrlicht completely isn't a new idea; this is the second time I hear about it within a week. However, an AngelScript binding of Irrlicht would be quite an undertaking.
sudi

Post by sudi »

your project seams really similar to mine even though the entity component stuff is a little diffrent here.
I used a central siglot event system in the beginning too. But i found out that it slows down stuff. I gave every entity a eventmap and components would register to its own entity event stack. and in case they want to receive global updates they register to the global actionmanager like in your example.
btw stuff like update is handled here completly different. thats seperated from this event system. it also allows me to update not every frame but like after 100ms and stuff like that which helps alot when having either network updates which should only be send every 100ms or when the ai should not be updated every frame and stuff like that.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

Sudi wrote:your project seams really similar to mine even though the entity component stuff is a little diffrent here.
I used a central siglot event system in the beginning too. But i found out that it slows down stuff. I gave every entity a eventmap and components would register to its own entity event stack. and in case they want to receive global updates they register to the global actionmanager like in your example.
btw stuff like update is handled here completly different. thats seperated from this event system. it also allows me to update not every frame but like after 100ms and stuff like that which helps alot when having either network updates which should only be send every 100ms or when the ai should not be updated every frame and stuff like that.
First of all, I'm quite happy to hear that so many people are working on similar projects.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I actually got the idea to use sigslot for event management from this forum. I see that you also posted in that thread. I didn't know that sigslot is slow, though. I read some articles about it and the results seemed to be pretty positive. And my tests didn't show slowdowns either. But I'll keep an eye onto it. :)

Networking is different cookie. I've no experience in that field, but I can imagine what you mean.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

ZCCdark203 wrote:[...]
Brainsaw wrote:Hi,

I'm afraid that I'll have to disappoint you. Sirrf provides AngelScript bindings for primitive value types of Irrlicht (vector2d, etc). Sirrf does not provide AngelScript bindings for other Irrlicht classes. Instead, most classes and functions are encapsulated in components. I figured that this would be easier and safer.

Binding Irrlicht completely isn't a new idea; this is the second time I hear about it within a week. However, an AngelScript binding of Irrlicht would be quite an undertaking.
Hmm ... in that case I'll have to do something myself. I think I don't need to do a complete integration, I mainly would like to be able to control Irrlicht and my IrrOde wrapper using scripting, an AngelScript seems to be good for that. I think I should start a project and add the things I need one-by-one ;).
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
sudi

Post by sudi »

No sigslot is not slow but all events going thorugh one point might give u some performance hit when u have some more entities on screen. I kinda noticed that when i made a little arcade shooter where even the bullets of the gun where entities. After updating the event system i got 20fps more.

Now i have to EventSystems. One global which deals with global events and one that is owned by each entity. That way the maps and lists stay smaller.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Good to hear sudi, i also took a multiple entity approach.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

FuzzYspo0N wrote:i also took a multiple entity approach.
What do you mean?
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Code: Select all

. One global which deals with global events and one that is owned by each entity.
;)
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Sounds pretty interesting.

But it would be nice to have an online doxygen (even without comments) just to quickly and easily look over the API.

(same for all you guys developing frameworks and libraries :) )