The Irrlicht Game - every1 involved

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Like the idea of people getting together and making a game that everybody has a say in designing

you are an idiot
38%
common idea noble but wont work
41%
great lets go
22%

Total votes: 74

Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Ahahah, destined to fail. Libel, unkown on consoles, little community behind you in a genre hard to develop original content with extremelly good competitors. Also, you're deaf to warnings. So, cya around ^^
sudi

Post by sudi »

Just read ur conversation over at googlecode and saw u gonna use ur gameengine. May i know what it already supports?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

I'm absolutely agreed with ZCCdark203 and Sudi, no conscensious people can join without know where he is landing.
devsh wrote: The game is a Role Playing Shooter, about M$ making a virtual reality and kidnapping people for tests and is supported by many governments due to the fact of the world being overpopulated. The whole plot is not my idea, I just insisted on the evil faceless company to be M$.
Okay now you project is really making me sick I was ever thinking about helping but now I'm sure that I'll not.
First of all those kind of "game with troll" aren't really funny.
And to tell you the truth if I would be able to decide I'll refuse that this project is called "Representative of the Irrlicht's community".
devsh wrote: If somebody bothered to look on the googlecode website, they would see that m_krzywy and me are the final authority cause nobody else bothered...
so our word is final [...]
Also you're simply showing that you're leading like a kid, I mean these is not the kind of game I can folow you are just telling "Nobody care, so I don't care about what you have to said". You can't just said that you want to create a game without thinking with people about what it's will be turned on.

From my own experience I used to be artist for a game project and I'm leading a project too, and I can tell that when you're creating your game without communicate nobody will folow actively.
You're not paying people so you can't said that it's will be the way you like because you're had always dream about creating this game.
No gamedesign mean that you don't know what are the feature available for player.

A good leader should:
  • Talk about plans.
  • Be understandable
  • Be patient
  • Be attentive to members and external opinion
  • Be open Minded (But not dub to accept everything)
  • Be well organized
  • Have experience about the kind of project he is working on (+Documentation)
So please think about it again... or this will surely be a fail.

And I'm sorry about the english mistakes ...
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Usually you would choose middleware based on game type and target platform surely... I'm surprised you devsh would choose Phy$x as it is closed source and owned by teh evil NV$D$A.

Also things like shaders etc.. ought to be an afterthought - being pretty easy to do in the grand scheme of things (i.e. just plugging in BlindSide et al's work).

But yeah the overall impression you give devsh is that you are only interested in two things: Linux and Next Generation Graphics (and whatever else is the latest trend). Which really have minimal relation to the development of an actual game. (certainly the early stages of design at least).

Realise a good part of development is design and maybe prototyping, the technical choices don't have to be decided for a long long time yet.

So I would suggest no more technical discussion, forget questions of what compilers, languages, middleware you will use, and as I said before perhaps start the design on a wiki, detailed descriptions of gameplay mechanics, levels, themes, story, etc... *maybe* a good design will attract more people (and will demonstrate that you as the team leader are committed and have the drive and skills. which is not demonstrated by you quitting your own original project :P).

and keep it realistically achievable! all those games suggested in your first post I guess had a team of very experienced professionals working on them for years. Here you have for the most part beginners and hobbyists who can only work a few hours in their spare time. A polished 3D pacman I would consider a great success for a community project like this. Seriously :)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

@devsh

Sorry for not responding right away as I'm still working on the server side at the moment, still coding the registration/login stuff.

You just keep working on the client side and we'll meet halfway.

I suggest you get to know RakNet's Multiplayer feature. Coding for multiplayer is a different ballgame.

Also, you must consider Bullet 3D, it's pretty good for the kind of games that will be written soon. PhysX is fine, I like the way they coded it, though I'll stick with Bullet for now.

Also, we can chat on Steam, I'm also part of the L4D mod community as well, been learning lots of cool stuff over there. PM me your Steam login name and we'll chat later. Betcha you'll have a good time playing L4D.
sudi

Post by sudi »

dlangdev wrote:@devsh

Sorry for not responding right away as I'm still working on the server side at the moment, still coding the registration/login stuff.

I suggest you get to know RakNet's Multiplayer feature. Coding for multiplayer is a different ballgame.

Also, you must consider Bullet 3D, it's pretty good for the kind of games that will be written soon. PhysX is fine, I like the way they coded it, though I'll stick with Bullet for now.

Also, we can chat on Steam, I'm also part of the L4D mod community as well, been learning lots of cool stuff over there. PM me your Steam login name and we'll chat later. Betcha you'll have a good time playing L4D.
So you guys are already coding stuff.....
now i'm confused well whatever
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

There have been a lot of wise replies since my last reply. I completely agree with what has been said. Also, to expand on some things said:
devsh wrote:The game is a Role Playing Shooter, about M$ making a virtual reality and kidnapping people for tests and is supported by many governments due to the fact of the world being overpopulated. The whole plot is not my idea, I just insisted on the evil faceless company to be M$.
I completely agree with Steel Style on this one. I'll refuse to call this game a representative of the Irrlicht community. If you want to make a community game, you should make something that this community can support. Now you're just insulting people, including potential players.

Another thing that sickens me is your so-called "Linux preaching". Myself I use Linux and I too am sometimes critical of Microsoft, but that doesn't mean that everything that Microsoft does is wrong. Microsoft is also doing things that I agree with. Also, your choice for closed source middleware is, in this light, remarkable to say the least.
xDan wrote:and keep it realistically achievable! all those games suggested in your first post I guess had a team of very experienced professionals working on them for years. Here you have for the most part beginners and hobbyists who can only work a few hours in their spare time. A polished 3D pacman I would consider a great success for a community project like this. Seriously :)
And I think xDan gave you a pretty good tip here. Don't try to make The Next Big Game, but work on something small. The chance that you'll succeed will be a lot higher.

But I think this is my last reply in this thread, anyway, as it looks like you're deaf to warnings and tips.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

And linux-only maybe be a little problem for most of the people here. I know you love linux, blah blah blah, let's keep it cross platform. I think we've stopped caring to hear about your precious linux, especially all the windows people out there. So why not do what irrlicht does by default and have both OpenGL and DirectX as options?
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

before having a go at me...

I have posted this thread not to announce I have a ready made idea for a project...

I have posted this idea so ordinary and not so ordinary people get involved, all 5 of you having a go at me, chose not to. So in effect only 2 of us had to make the plot and idea.

I have said because it is the irrlicht representative, it will support windows. PhysX is an equivalent of Havoc so I'd guess choosing it was the right choice.

I have posted this thread to get people to brain storm on equal terms with no appointed leader yet, on the game design document. Yet from all the comments I see you all expect as if we have the game dev document. I mean how ridiculous is that, i say "come on the team get involved make up what the game is" and then you moan that there is no game dev document or the genre/plot dont fit your likes...

I mean you dont have a right to moan if you decided not to join. I mean you decided not to join and work with us. There is time to join and the plot aint set in stone. If only 2 linux lovers decide to join because everyone aint got time/are lazy/really aint got time/just like to sit on side and moan then its kinda obvious you are going to get something that linux lovers would put in the game.

First of all we need to provide a basic framework, with a pause menu, options menu, single and mutliplayer loops. Integrate physX do some tests and meanwhile get our game production document sorted to every team member's likes and dislikes. We are in process of finding a 3d artist and keep fingers crossed, we need the first chapter of the story sorted out and the gameplay experience wiki page sorted out about controls gui and the like. Then some programming can start in the single and splitscreen loops. Even then we will hit the wall if we wont have any artists producing content.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Fair enough, excuse my rudeness good sir.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Steel Style wrote:
devsh wrote: If somebody bothered to look on the googlecode website, they would see that m_krzywy and me are the final authority cause nobody else bothered...
so our word is final [...]
Also you're simply showing that you're leading like a kid, I mean these is not the kind of game I can folow you are just telling "Nobody care, so I don't care about what you have to said". You can't just said that you want to create a game without thinking with people about what it's will be turned on.

From my own experience I used to be artist for a game project and I'm leading a project too, and I can tell that when you're creating your game without communicate nobody will folow actively.
You're not paying people so you can't said that it's will be the way you like because you're had always dream about creating this game.
First of that is totally wrong, because as I have stated at the begining, for this game I have no dream of making it my way, that is why I said get on board untill friday and you can make up the plot/gameplay/features I said I can have a minimal say if you want it like that. So the bit in bold is bullshit, thank you. Also as a reminder I am not leading, I am in a mutual working relationship... Two members of a project and try to establish a leader, that is not team work... Its a master-slave relationship. And that has no right of happening. The situation is like that because I thought at least 5 people get involved and then we make up a "governing body", yet again nobody bothered so that was not possible. In case there is a newcomer(s) they answear to me and m_krzywy. That what it meant not "nobody cares, so i dont care what they say".
@devsh

DUDE i have no clue what you are talking about, I aint got an account on there, I promote freenode or skype or msn.

I dont get this "You just keep working on the client side and we'll meet halfway." so you want to be on project or not.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Sorry, man. Can't join now.

I have no Linux dev environment at the moment. My client dev is Vista and Server dev environment is Windows Server 2003 Dot Net 2.0 installed with SQL Server.

Good luck on your project.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

seriously people have you got eyes to read??

I said there will be a windows port, so dlandev the only thing stopping you is yourself.
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

dlangdev wrote:Sorry, man. Can't join now.

I have no Linux dev environment at the moment. My client dev is Vista and Server dev environment is Windows Server 2003 Dot Net 2.0 installed with SQL Server.

Good luck on your project.
I code on Windows :D
Ther's no linux-only project. Who said that?
9YkKsvXM

Post by 9YkKsvXM »

-
Last edited by 9YkKsvXM on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.