The Irrlicht Game - every1 involved

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Like the idea of people getting together and making a game that everybody has a say in designing

you are an idiot
38%
common idea noble but wont work
41%
great lets go
22%

Total votes: 74

devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Hey looks like we have our first conflict between the members of the "Board". One of them thinks their developing on windows and the other thinks their doing it for linux, thats good communication right there...
WTF havent they taught you at school to read with understanding, everybody on the game's board knew what they are devving for! only dlangdev was outside of project and he didnt know.

Actually windows is installed on 86% of all worlds computers while mac yields 11% and linux rest with other operating systems
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

we kinda got a wiki started
MasterM

Post by MasterM »

devsh quit swearing and to be honest lots of people say M$ is evil and all but i don't see nothing wrong with it to be honest...
i think m$ is cool...sure there is times when windows messes with us nerves(at starting up :P) but witch os doesnt has a problem?
Just giving my opinion
C++ is not the Magdalena...it takes patience...shes like the well aged prostitute, it takes years to learn her tricks! she is cruel...laughs at you when you are naked...
Life of a programmer == Const abuse
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I try to watch my language

M$ is not cool, it is geeky and nerdy. which os doesnt have a problem when starting up???

Ubuntu 9.04, 4 months after install of the alpha and still boots in 30 seconds.
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

It's not the OS wars. We have changed the game concept to somethin' very different.

Project have started if you like it or not. Personally I #care about what you think about it. If someone interested please join us. Every one can help. If you don't want to help in any kind please do not answer this thread.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

thank you m_krzywy,

anyways I will draw concept maps for our game and draw up how you get from one place to another. It will be based on real life so I'd guess google earth will help.

I think aiming for 100 000 sqr kilometres in the game so far would be good enough. 35% for cities, towns and villages. 30% for fortifications and rest will be plains.
9YkKsvXM

Post by 9YkKsvXM »

-
Last edited by 9YkKsvXM on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sudi

Post by sudi »

your plans are pretty big...
ever thought about making a fun simple game?
First of all i guess this project is kinda the first u all are working on and starting with a big concept like that i think u will fail. You should start with some reacheable in time to test the teamwork so that everyone gets to know the codingstyle of everyone else.
Doing that has several upsides.
First the team will actually finish a game and everyone knows how the others work.
Second u will be able to produce even better code bc u already know some game dynamics work.

Oh and by the way you are talking about making a big MMOFPS well great idea but do u actually know how to do this? Especially with such a big world keeping all these players in sync will be hard. Yeah i know your answer will be in the beginning there won't be so much players and later we can chance stuff....wrong when u start with the assumption that not many people will play then noone will.

Your best bet about starting a mmo no matter what kind is going with one of the ready made solutions out there. Just google MMO engine. And starting this on a graphics forum is a bad idea.

I really think u guys should start with a single player game maybe even someting without physics on the first project. That game could even be used as a irrlicht bc no external libs are used. Then on the next project try something with a physics engine and so for. Having a team is only good if everyone is confident in his part and has already done alot of stuff. Besides when u have a newby team everyone is learning while programming so u don't want them to learn on ur big dream....

These are my two cents about it and no i have no idea for a little game otherwise i would have already programmed it^^
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

devsh wrote:seriously people have you got eyes to read??

I said there will be a windows port, so dlandev the only thing stopping you is yourself.
No problem, I will be a member but not the kind of active member you are expecting. I just got PHP installed on my server and is currently testing DirectoryServer.php found in RakNet samples directory. The page is up now and will get to test the client Irrlicht demo game program.

I'd say keep your head straight and ignore the noise, keep coding and testing, play with code more. I'll join you guys later.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

If you don't want to help in any kind please do not answer this thread.
Just in response to that... This was called a "community project", and mine and others comments and advice were meant only as constructive criticism, to help this project succeed. If it was well managed etc I might well have wanted to help out a bit, but as it is, no. You devsh said eveyone involved, so everyone is here providing their input to help the project succeed.

And no devsh I cannot commit full time, not because I am lazy, but because I am no longer a student and have other things I have to do in life. (And also my own projects which actually have a chance of success) But still I might have liked to provide some contributions to a *proper* community project if I found time.

But really a community project could really only be a real community project if it was organised by the moderators or similar. But they have more sense and have ignored this topic.

P.s. Windows XP, 4 years, still boots in 30 seconds :) Fedora on my netbook has completely frozen up at least 4 times in the last 10 months loosing stuff I was working on. XP never freezes. MS put a computer in everyone's home, I thank them for that. Without them would all those fancy videocards you so like have been developed (Games run on windows)? YES - by another mega corporation. Which you would be there labelling evil, all the while using all hardware and software they helped develop.

if you don't want feedback from everyone, then don't call this a community project with "ever1 involved" if it isn't!!

Yes, and reading your chatlog on the wiki, just sounds like the next MMOFPSOMG posted on GameDev.net every day.

Which is fine. Do what you like, good luck, and we have no right to put you down for it, just do not call it the irrlicht community project any longer and pretend that "ever1" is really involved.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Well I want feedbacl from people who plan contributing at least 100 lines of code not people who just sit around watching. Just a little remark...

you dont like a single player FPS
you dont like MMOFPS

So what do you like? or do you just moan at anything?
MasterM

Post by MasterM »

Its going to fail if you do a big project the first time...just start like someone else sayed with a 3d pacman but with a story and some other cool stuff...
and from there move on...
Just listen to peoples advises...(i am not downing you or anything but i am just being realistic)
[edit](Tip)Oh and to know what genre to do its best to put a poll :wink:
C++ is not the Magdalena...it takes patience...shes like the well aged prostitute, it takes years to learn her tricks! she is cruel...laughs at you when you are naked...
Life of a programmer == Const abuse
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

i remember once apon a time when i was around the age like you I did the same thing - tried to make some sort of MMO but in the end it never succeeded anyway.

then i listened and followed the advices from other people just like those in this forum, and a week later I made my first 2D mini game (fully playable and complete) :lol: and then few months later I released my second mini game.

without their advices I wouldn't have done that.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok listen, this is not my first project

It's my 3rd all three are in the making.

Irrlicht is for 3D not 2D, it is supposed to be the irrlicht game. If you dont want it to be a representative fine, but it has to demostrate irrlicht's capabilities. I could make a 2D or 3D pacman with GameMaker.

This is why I want a team gathered, I have 3 people so far and we havent even chosen the genre yet.

We have 1 person for linux (me), one to make sure it compiles for windows and one who's hobby is integrating physX with irrlicht (or the other way round if you please).

All we need to do is just get you all people to be reasonable and agree on genre, plot and the size of the game. So you dont moan there are too many games of that genre or it's not gonna get played because of shitty plot. So you dont moan too big wont accomplish.

P.S. cant edit poll :( just post your idea of what the game should be
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

devsh wrote:ok listen, this is not my first project

It's my 3rd all three are in the making.

Irrlicht is for 3D not 2D, it is supposed to be the irrlicht game. If you dont want it to be a representative fine, but it has to demostrate irrlicht's capabilities. I could make a 2D or 3D pacman with GameMaker.

This is why I want a team gathered, I have 3 people so far and we havent even chosen the genre yet.

We have 1 person for linux (me), one to make sure it compiles for windows and one who's hobby is integrating physX with irrlicht (or the other way round if you please).

All we need to do is just get you all people to be reasonable and agree on genre, plot and the size of the game. So you dont moan there are too many games of that genre or it's not gonna get played because of shitty plot. So you dont moan too big wont accomplish.

P.S. cant edit poll :( just post your idea of what the game should be
it's even worse that when you have not even done a single project and you straight away do 3 different projects in parallel. ok this is not your first project, so show people your previous ones so that you can convince people and prove them that this is not going to waste their time and energy.

what's the matter with 2d game? it's just a 1 dimension difference between 3d game :lol: my second game was using irrlicht anyway