The Adventures of Pingy and Pudgy (New demo!)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

+1 for Ducky too. I totally agree that sometimes it happens that someone has only an hour or half to spend waiting for sth or he`s just too tired to play something that burdens and drains him killing or thinking a lot. He just wants to play something simple and colourful, something positive. And indeed it`s nice for the kids to play games for kids and avoid the teen-like games, because they are still easily affected. So I like the idea of Pingy. Unfortunately I weren`t able to try the demo- I tried at least 8 times, and each time Pingy got stuck in the air. You may try watching and debugging the first and the second step Newton intializes. Anyway good luck to Pingy! :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

I like these kind of games, reminds me of SuperTux for Linux =)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

tux!! <3
3DModelerMan

Thanks!

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Thanks for the debugging tip :) . Pingy is going to be bright and cheery, but also there might be a little bit of... Pingy falls really far... Splat!!! Pingy hits the ground really hard and gets flattened like a pancake... "Oof!" Pingy gets up completely unharmed. Kinda like looney tunes humor except a little less violent.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

i found 2 bugs
when jumping onto a edge and holding the button into the direction of the edge and the up arrow, you slide more and more up and finally jump onto the way again.
number two is when you walk along the iron ball and jump around, you fall into the ground.

i'd make the items in the menu selectable with [ENTER] also and use a mouse for it.

at least, your demo looks good. im looking forward to what will happend to the penguin in the future ^^
do you really need to use a physics engine? the irrlicht collision detection would be enough, wouldnt it?
i love skateboarding!
3DModelerMan

Okay

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Okay thanks. The one with the edge grab is caused by the same reason that Pingy sticks to the wall when you fall and hold down a left or right arrow key, I'll enter it into my bug list. The other one is because I just haven't gotten around to putting collision in there. I will make the menu items selectable with enter. Maybe the mouse too. The physics engine is just more out of personal preference to be honest. The add force method makes jumps go smoother and look better (though I could do without it if I had to). But there's going to be a big wall at the bottom of the hill so the ball needs to roll realistically, so I guess that's an area.

My first full game:
3DModelerMan

New demo

Post by 3DModelerMan »

There's a new demo now, I just updated it. And fixed the rocket bug.

My first full game:
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

Downloading now =)

Edit:
Ok after "playing" a bit, I got stuck into rock and when i fell, i dint die nor teleport back and could not exist the game without alt-tabbing to irrlicht console and exiting it. I ran it under Wine tho so it may differ from Windows. The graphics looks nice, but still you should fix those pesky bugs and make the UI more User-friendly give feedback and tell controls even in demo as it gives good first impression.
sudi

Post by sudi »

ok the physics suck......i always get stuck in the rock and moving really is not what i know from similar games. maybe u should look into that.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
3DModelerMan

yeah

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Yeah the physics are kinda loopy right now I've got to change some values in there. I made it so that you decelerate less when you are in the air, is that what you mean by bad physics? I did that to make it more marioish in the platforming part. The getting stuck on the rocks though... Is that just when you move straight towards them? Or actually jumping on them? I will definitely add tutorials soon (in fact I'll move that to the top of the todo list).

My first full game:
fennec

Post by fennec »

I don't know, I liked the original better, when he moved and jumped more crisply.

It seems like the physics engine is causing more problems than it solves, with getting stuck on top of the rock, and getting stuck on the very edges of the cliffs when trying to jump them. Also, as Pingy moves along the ground, sometimes he bounces a little bit, which makes the jump command not respond while he's airborne (especially on the small decline just before a jump).

Wouldn't it just be easier to write your own simple acceleration, jump and gravity physics, and use raycast triangle selection to determine when Pingy is grounded or airborne, or hitting an obstacle? Then you'd have complete control.
3DModelerMan

Yeah

Post by 3DModelerMan »

You might be right about the physics causing more problems than it solves. I will be taking it out, so it might be a little while before the next demo.

My first full game:
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Alright BIG update. You can now use spring boards and fight two varieties of Helmet Guys. Evil Pingys won't be too far behind, and the level gets bigger every day. The first boss is also coming soon. Jump when you stand on the springboard to go higher.

My first full game:
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Just so you know, McAfee flags the directx dll in your game as a trojan and removes it.
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I didn't know that... Norton doesn't mess with it on my system. Why would it be doing this?

My first full game: