The Irrlicht Game - every1 involved

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Like the idea of people getting together and making a game that everybody has a say in designing

you are an idiot
38%
common idea noble but wont work
41%
great lets go
22%

Total votes: 74

devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Virion I am a programmer (effects programmer ATM) so all the work that I do, does not get done 3 times into separate projects. If I was an artist, yes that would be a workload. We want to show the features of irrlicht FFS so please bare that in mind while advising.
DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

Hey, I might be willing to help with graphics. Probably not any code though, as I'm not to experienced and I'm trying to struggle through my own project. If this sounds good to you, let me know, and I'll see what I can do for you guys.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

yeah you are on board

get a googlecode account

what do you mean by graphics?
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Ok I have a physics person, but I need a network programmer. To pair them up obviously to make the server app.

I am finishing my joystick support... and hopefully the demo of Project Ninja Star base will be our stating point.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ok overclocked my PC to do some devving

here is PNS http://project-ninja-star.googlecode.co ... 3-6-09.zip and it will be the backbone for the client ( a bit like the quake 3 engine used in 993042094204830252395 games )

amd sempron 3200+ 1.8ghz stock @ 2.14Ghz
Nvidia 9600 GT XXX edition factory overclocked GPU = 740 VRAM = 1000
and now @ 807 and 1079 respectively

P.S. I know I can squeeze out more, I just need to crank up the voltage... and anyway what is the point I am getting an Athlon X2 6400+ or Phenom X2 3.2Ghz
sudi

Post by sudi »

devsh wrote:ok overclocked my PC to do some devving

here is PNS http://project-ninja-star.googlecode.co ... 3-6-09.zip and it will be the backbone for the client ( a bit like the quake 3 engine used in 993042094204830252395 games )
I read through the source and one thing i can really say that this is nothing like the quake3 engine.
Major thing i can see is no real api. No coding convention, its just loose system of functions!!(you should tell everyone that your idea about programming in c++ is not OO).
I don't see gamestate managment, no entity management. And i really don't see the point in starting with that as source. Oh and btw when the project grows u really don't want to have class or function implemantations in your header file bc that forces u to recompile the whole project each time u change something.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

Why did I end up downloading the entire irr source in that zip?
Image - The glory days.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

did I say the source has to look like Quake 3

you ended up downloading the source because its the newest SVN with some patches (MRT and linux window closing).

Just btw I will construct a GameEngine class but that will be when me and Ioannes add physX into it...
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Devsh, you should learn about source files and header files. Having everything in the header is a bad idea. Heck, you probably don't care anyway. Also, your code is very difficult to read. You should format it better. (Naming functions, classes, member variables etc) Take a look at Irrlicht's source.

When you said your project would be a bit like Quake 3, it implies that your codebase should be re-usable (like Quake 3 is). At its current state I would find it simpler to write everything from scratch ..
Everything starts from a proper design, otherwise you will find yourself re-writing everything at one point because it's too difficult to use. I know, because I spent 2 days rewriting and debugging my character class because I was adding things as I went along without any actual design or system and it all got out of hands. So don't take it as a criticism but advice.

But whatever you choose, keep on going. I wish you luck.
sudi

Post by sudi »

devsh wrote:did I say the source has to look like Quake 3.
Well u said its gonna be the backbone and that it is a bit like the quake 3 engine
devsh wrote:( a bit like the quake 3 engine used in 993042094204830252395 games )
Maybe u should take a look at Sirrf and use that as a backbone. It is for sure better than what u have. And the shaders and stuff can be used whereever.
Last edited by sudi on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

nah thanks no advertising please....

Commenting and clearing up my code..
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

devsh wrote:nah thanks no advertising please....

Commenting and clearing up my code..
Its a "community" thread, this implies that things from the community with be advertised.
Image - The glory days.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

fair enough.. good point, but soo far Sirrf is not completed and this is comfy to me and the second dev dont have anything against it soo far.

But yeah a little bit of clearing up will help and commenting
sudi

Post by sudi »

Well i might be right that Sirrf is not completly done but thats a decision by the author....anyway at least it supports gamestate management, a working entity implemantation and even scripting for all these components.
So that project way farther than yours bc u have no gamestatemanagement and no entity management.
Maybe atleast consider coping when you don't want to use the lib.....bc that will save u some time and a lot of headeck
ZCCdark203

Post by ZCCdark203 »

And I didn't want to get involved in this thread anymore... :roll:

Anyway, on to Sirrf. I think we can all agree that Sirrf is not finished. But don't let you be mislead by the beta status. In my opinion, Sirrf is already usable. It should be quite easy for a moderately experienced programmer to get started with Sirrf. A complete beginner might have some problems, though. But that can be resolved with good documentation.

As for the reason why Sirrf has already been released. I think it's important for open source projects to "release early, release often". That way you get a clear idea of the needs of the community. Also, the community can often help to find bugs and maybe even better implementations of ideas. You too can help; if you miss something, please tell me.

Just wanted to make that clear as I'm the author of Sirrf. Whether you'll use it or not is not up to me.