Area Damage for Rockets, Grenades etc.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
MickeyKnox

Area Damage for Rockets, Grenades etc.

Post by MickeyKnox »

I would like an opponent to take damage when i fired a rocket on him, that did not actually
hit him, but hit the ground close to him.

Thus i would like to have a list of all ISceneNodes in some sphere. I would then calculate for
all these SceneNodes there distance to the impact and apply damage accordingly.

Now, how do i get such a list of SceneNodes in some sphere?
I think the buildin CollisionSystem does not work for me in this case.
Any ideas?
JuicyLobster

Post by JuicyLobster »

well a "sphere" could be thought as a distance to target really.

if "this node" is "this far" from "impact position" then apply "this damage"

You could then depending on the distance between positions of the node and impact spot set a fall off damage from the distance value.

edit: so to get all nodes within a certain spherical distance your just looking for the radius length between nodes in relation to the impact point of the rocket.
--
Juicy, hot, and full of butter!
MickeyKnox

Post by MickeyKnox »

But i still need that initial list of SceneNodes in range. Otherwise i would have to check the
distance to all SceneNodes in the Scene, which does not scale good: with lots af SceneNodes
this would take too long.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Comparing calculating the distance between two nodes and comparing this distance with another value doesn't take ages.

If this is really too slow you could use a bsp tree or something similar. So you only have to check nodes next to the position.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Yeah if you make some sort of quick sort algorithm, you can quickly select the nodes that are affected, and them, manage the damage, etc...
OR, you can make each enemy objetc to check the colision at every loop....
Anywaysm, you can always make siple apps to make tests and then choose the best way....
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Normally, a rocket has an on collision event. The players/enemies will have a bounding box, and so can the rocket itself.

So all you need is rocket bounding box and player bounding box. On rocket collision : (inside gamerocket.cpp for example)

if there are 16 players (which is a LOT) its still not a lot of checks on a bounding box.

if rocket.boundingbox contains/intersects with (any of the player boxes), calculate the distance and apply force.

Code: Select all

in void onRocketCollision()
{
    for each player
       if rocket.boundingbox intersects/contains players[i].boundingbox
          damage = getDistanceAndDirectionFromPlayer (players[i]);
          applyForceToPlayer(damage);
}
getDistanceAndDirection is obvious too,
dir = (rocketPos - PlayerPos) is the "direction" of the force, and
dir.normalise will give you a value between 0 and 1 for the force "amount". You can then lerp the values between max rocket damage, and that percent of damage.
MickeyKnox

Post by MickeyKnox »

Ok, i just check the distance for all SceneNodes in the Scene. I thought that would be
foolish and another way would be preferable.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
sudi

Post by sudi »

why are u checking for all scenenodes? is really every scenenode going to be affectd by the rocket?
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
MickeyKnox

Post by MickeyKnox »

Well, i will check for those, that might be affected.
My question was, if i can exclude SceneNodes from distance testing that are way out of
range somehow, and if irrlicht offers some facilities to do so efficiently.

Currently, there aren't so many SceneNodes in my game, so testing them all is feasible.
In a later state however, the number of SceneNodes may forbid such a trivial approach.
I'm planning to check out physic engines later, maybe i'll find a better solution then.
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

well.. you could test their all their x, y, z distances to make sure they are under a certain distance, and if all of them are then do the sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z) so that you quickly check the masses but slowly check the probables.

a compare function like if(x<50) is like 3 or 4 cpu cycles, but a x*x is like 40.

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/
sudi

Post by sudi »

ok something really weird happend i just wrote a octTree class to do the quick bounding box lookup search.
I tried with 10000 scenenodes....took 0 ms to find the nodes in range.
then i did a simple list traversal and checked all scenenodes. this also took 0 ms...mesured with clock().
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You are probably not performing any "changes" to anything outside the loop, therefore it would get optimized out.

E.g:

for
{
    var2 = 5;
}
vs

var = 0;
for
{
    var2 = 5;
    var += var2;
}
a compare function like if(x<50) is like 3 or 4 cpu cycles, but a x*x is like 40.
Sadly this is only true for very old processors. These days the cost of a branch is much higher.

Here is a great resource for reference: http://www.agner.org/optimize/optimizing_cpp.pdf
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net