Realtime strategy project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Vandal

Realtime strategy project

Post by Vandal »

Author: Vandal
Tool: VC++ and Irrlicht
Name: undecided

I am creating free 3D-RTS, in which several units move and fight simultaneously like AOE1(not AOE3). Its background may be medieval probably, but I have not designed units' models at all.
Now I am contriving fundamental programing parts --adjusting different units' logics and getting rid of bugs. So I may complete it in the considerable future.

Demo:
http://rapidshare.com/files/256777093/demo.wmv.html

Last edited by Vandal on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
exhys

Post by exhys »

interesting =). look 4ward 4 playable demo =).
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Me too, keep up the good work!
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

I succeeded in drawing river at last.

Last edited by Vandal on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

I said my project's model was AOE before, but I am not to adopt its manufacture system.
For I used to play a certain RTS in which players gathered resources or materials, build facilities and make units and was feeling dissatisfaction that I wanted to concentrate on not production but battle. Manufacturing gives games various elements and possibility indeed, however I hoped for enjoying war more. Thus I like no-production-RTS such as Total War nowadays.
And I will make such a game in my project.
exhys

Post by exhys »

hey would u mind sharing your unit selection codes? i also had a rts game in mind but juz cant figure out how 2 do unit selection
Vandal

Demo

Post by Vandal »

exhys

Post by exhys »

possible to upload to other file host other than rapidshare? like megaupload, easyshare or fileden.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

problems are not with proggramming but with making 3d models..
good luck though
Vandal

Announcement

Post by Vandal »

Hello, everyone. I must report a very sad news here.
I have been making a RTS game by now, and created a demo version of it. But I have noticed that this game will not reach satisfactory level by testing the demo. For it is very unstable and slow --usually keeps no less than 15 fps. I have come to the conclusion that project has to be over.
Thank you for keeping your concern about my project. Good-bye. :cry:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mtmizmiy4jz
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Hey, after all you`re creating this game, so if it`s unstable, than you`re the one to improve it, and if it runs slow, you should just think about optimizing it. Usually you try to find a way around, not give up. :wink:

1. You can use .md2 models with up to 500-600 trigs each.
2. You may draw the healthbars for a short time, after an unit is hurt and hide it after that. You can make 10 texture healthbar images, each showing 0, 10, 20, 30 and on health and use it as a billboard image above the unit since you`re showing lots of them at the same time, and the eaxctness of your unit health is not that important- it doesn`t matter if your unit is say 36 heath and your healthbar shows 30 or 35.
3. You can use "fog of war" to hide totally what`s not seen and on...
4. Use a plane with animated texture to represent water and on. You may change that anytime if you have enough fps.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
netpipe

hey

Post by netpipe »

vandal dont give up so easily, post the source and others may be able to help. there are many speed tweaks one can do, mesh batching for one , vbo's and even poly reduction.
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

Thank you all. I have felt limitation about my way. I'm thinking starting a new things.
Vandal

Experiment

Post by Vandal »