Ogre > Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

@shadowslair,
It's nice to see another Valhalla users :D
How you guest my country by the way? The only user that I remember from our country was SuryIIID. But he wrote own engine. I have not idea whether he still works in this scope. You can see gamedev.bg for details.
Halifax wrote:By the way, insulting the developers isn't going to get you anywhere. :roll:
Hi Halifax, I was omitted the last line of your post. You are totally right. Insulting of people is outside my style in web and real life. More when I wrote about my favorite engine.
As far my English permits me I trying to give some ideas. If some from devteam find something useful, I will be glad. My respect to devteam and congrats to some from my friends there.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

that's by choice and will change in the future with e.g. BlindSide's XEffects in the engine.
I don't plan to directly include XEffects or a derivative there of in Irrlicht ever, precisely because directly integrating a framework that is made to be used from the outside is never a clean task.

I will be implementing features similar to XEffects, but will be taking advantage of several new features that I will/have added myself into Irrlicht for this purpose and the ability to modify Irrlicht's internals/interface for better integration, performance and ease of use.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

MasterM wrote:
I realized that OGRE has many many great features and design decisions
can you mention atleast 10 of these features and whicht design decisions?, pleas tell me cause i really wanna know.
All in the book :p but as I said, Irrlicht still fits my needs.
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Geomaster

Post by Geomaster »

A long time ago, I migrated from VB2008's 2D gamedev to 3D gamedev using C++. Many friends recommended Ogre for me (cause it has great features, extensible, easy to use (?!) etc.). So I downloaded Ogre, set up everything as said in the tutorial and began to write code from the tutorial. First, VC++ couldn't find header files. After setting all paths, Ogre started to show stupid error messages. I've checked up in the tutorial, nope about it. I asked in the forums, I got NO answers. Then, after two days of combining, moving etc. I succeeded in booting Ogre up. I completed first tutorial, but I was totally confused. Entities aren't things such as Billboard, Cameras... (Billboard? Camera? What the heck?). I Googled so much to understand these concepts. But again I couldn't understand any of the tutorials from 4 and after. I couldn't find a good exporter for Ogre's mesh format. Then I decided to search for some other engines. The first result came up on Google was - Irrlicht! I saw not-so-impressing screenshots and I thought it's not gonna be a hit. But when I downloaded it and opened demos, I was very surprised. Started up with first tutorial and then I saw how it's powerful and simple. I set it up for only 15 minutes and wrote my code. API is really well documented and I gave up on Ogre and gone for Irrlicht. With some extensions, Irrlicht can be very competitive with Ogre. And yes, Irrlicht was really faster than Ogre and the code seemed to be clean and easy to understand, on contrast with some Ogre code I saw from my friend which was HORRIBLY looking (but my friend maybe wasn't a good coder at all :D ).

Still, I think that Irrlicht is brilliant 3D engine. It also gives a fairly good collision detection, and it can be easily integrated with irrKlang, which is yet very good sound engine which suits my needs.
Maybe Ogre has better features than Irrlicht, but I don't care, because the difference couldn't leave in shame how Irrlicht is fast & lightweight.

If you think that Irrlicht cannot be used for commercial games, you're wrong. I know (not personally) a man who created a game with Irrlicht and it was really great-looking for me. I have NVIDIA 5200FX and the game from Andross named Hell Throne: Lepteria (maybe you know it) is running with 1FPS and it's made with NeoAxis which's based on Ogre.

My decision is Irrlicht, no mattered how набуџен Ogre is (it's Serbian :D).
Viz_Fuerte

Post by Viz_Fuerte »

Always comparing engines. :cry:

The Ogre is graphically stronger, because it is an engine oriented rendering.
The team worked just as fast and strong in the graphic presentation, but lacks everything else.
Takes up too much for my taste. :lol:

Irrlicht however, is most complete at the time of the user can choose to do.
Has more ease of use, more file formats, system of particles and collisions, all in a dynamic library (or static)... Just who is weak on the issue of the shadows. :oops:

Finally, According to the project you want to do, will be one better than another.

But I was left with Irrlicht !!!!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

I am pissed of with how I get help and lack of some features. But overall I am not good at handling a lib with more than 50k lines of code to it so I guess irrlicht is better.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

devsh wrote:I am pissed of with how I get help and lack of some features.
Probably it's more a question of how you ask for help and the lack of decent social abilities on your side, but anyway...
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

hybrid wrote:
devsh wrote:I am pissed of with how I get help and lack of some features.
Probably it's more a question of how you ask for help and the lack of decent social abilities on your side, but anyway...
LOL!!.. hehe..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

if your saying ogre sucks, why does the title say the ogre is bette than irrlicht? o.o
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

grumpymonkey wrote:if your saying ogre sucks, why does the title say the ogre is bette than irrlicht? o.o
Read the first post, was said there.