CSkinnedMesh, Weight-Vertex many-to-one relation?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
r2d2

CSkinnedMesh, Weight-Vertex many-to-one relation?

Post by r2d2 »

I'm not that sure, perhaps i misunderstood the code in CSkinnedMesh.cpp but it seems like Irrlicht uses a many-to-one relation between weights and vertices. Can anyone confirm that? If that's true, why is there no skinned animation implemented which uses a vertices-weights one-to-many relationship?
As might already have guessed, the MD5 models i am currently implementing, use a vertices-weights one-to-many relationship and i didn't want to reinvent the wheel so i first had a look at the existing classes.
Sure one could transform the weights-vertices one-to-many relationship to a vertices-weights one-to-many relationship but that would kinda create a data overhead, at least i think so (unless using quite complex algorithms which would recalculate the mesh and all the animations, but not sure if it is even possible to reduce the overhead of such a relationshiptransformation).
R2D2's Irrlicht Mods
Messed up with my database so the page is not working at the moment -.-
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6700RAM: 4096 mb Graphics: Radeon 4850 512mb Sound: on board InternetConnection: DSL
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

you talking about how a vertex can be affected by more then one weight?

yes this is true. and is used at least by the b3d loader, possibly ms3d and x too, if I remember right.

converting between weights to vertices, and vertices to weights data layout should be pretty straight forward, think this is done in one in the loaders, possibility ms3d
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/irrlicht]irrlicht irc[/url] - corrodinggames.com