[Solved]Getting the "positioning point" of a model

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
NeWsOfTzzz

[Solved]Getting the "positioning point" of a model

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

A 3d model has always a point, where the position is related to. Since I don't know the name of that point I couldn't search for my question :(

So first question: What's the name of this positioning point?

Second and important question: How can I get this positioning point in IrrLicht? I'm using a bounding box so I can calculate distances, for example to the ground. I tried using boundingBox.getCenter(), but then I've seen that this positioning point often is NOT the center.

Kind Regards and thanks for your help,
René

PS: I've just seen the transformedBoundingBox is using absolute position, so I could calculate it with the original sceneNode->getPosition(). So I think second question is answered (I'll recode it now and test it), but I'd still like to know the name of this positioning point, so I can maybe reposition it in 3ds max?

Last edited by NeWsOfTzzz on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

That point is called origin, as in origin of model. You can get it by calling node->getPosition() or getAbsolutePosition() if your node is parented. Models are positioned using their origin.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

most modelling applications call it the pivot, the position around which the transformations on the mesh apply.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

FuzzYspo0N wrote:most modelling applications call it the pivot, the position around which the transformations on the mesh apply.
Ty, found out how to move the pivot now in 3ds max :)

May be closed.

FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

just rename the thread to [solved] and it will be fine.