Forum feature: "Always notify me of replies"

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Yes it's not impossible but forbidden.

Also notifiying per email is totaly different from checking by yourself.

And hey it's up to you what you code. So feel free to do so.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

That would be one useless script. You can click on "View posts since last visit" in the upper right corner of the main forum page and you'll get a nice list.
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

wITTus wrote:That would be one useless script. You can click on "View posts since last visit" in the upper right corner of the main forum page and you'll get a nice list.
You didn't understand what my script will be doing. It immediately sends you an email whenever a new post or thread is written (to posts or boards you subscribe to). Just like the regular email notification, if it was possible to be used here.

PS: @sylence: Sure it's my thing, but the best thing would be some official support and a sticky with the link, so many people could use it (it doesn't generate more traffic for more people using it, so it would actually become more efficient)...

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess you didn't understand. Just use curl and get the "View posts since last visit" with your login and password, and you're done. No need to implement anything, with user-definable update intervals 8)
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

hybrid wrote:I guess you didn't understand. Just use curl and get the "View posts since last visit" with your login and password, and you're done. No need to implement anything, with user-definable update intervals 8)
What if I only want to subscribe 1 single thread (or threads I posted in / I'm interested in reading)? I'll get spammed by threads I don't care about... Seems like a very comfortable solution...

At least that's what most people want, just get notified about things they care about and not the WHOLE forum.

PS: Even worse, what I didn't think before: I want to offer this service for EVERYBODY, with your solution they all would have to give me (my database) their account data...

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

We're (nearly) all coders here - no one will stop you from coding a script :-) It's just the end-of-discussion for enabling this in the forum, at least for now - we simply can't. And we didn't just try for 5-10 minutes.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

CuteAlien wrote:We're (nearly) all coders here - no one will stop you from coding a script :-) It's just the end-of-discussion for enabling this in the forum, at least for now - we simply can't. And we didn't just try for 5-10 minutes.
Good, you could think about your own hosting though. But this for sure is not done in 5 minutes, so I'm not the one to demand it.

I'll message back here as soon as my interface is done and usable for people in need, you can think about a sticky then.

wITTus

Post by wITTus »

NeWsOfTzzz wrote:What if I only want to subscribe 1 single thread (or threads I posted in / I'm interested in reading)?
Do a grep on curl's output. :D
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

wITTus wrote:Do a grep on curl's output. :D
Where exactly are the differences to my perl script then? I know one: The perl script doesn't need any login data.

MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

NeWsOfTzzz wrote:
hybrid wrote:We can stop the discussions here, it's simply impossible. And no, we won't host the forum elsewhere.
No, we will not stop the discussion here, because it is NOT impossible!

I WILL circumvent this sh!t by writing a perl script, which will check this forum and threads regularly and will allow people to subscribe to threads/forums from OUTSIDE of this forum. It's not the first time I've done such a thing.

Then I'll put the link somewhere in this forum so other people can use it too. The only problem is that the perl script will generate some traffic, you can compare it to a GOOGLEbot spider. But since it's Sourceforge hosting, it doesn't matter much.

GoGoGo! NeWsOfTzzz!!

I'm totally with you on this! (as long as everything's legal of course :wink: ).

I thank you for your devotion!
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
cheshirekow

Post by cheshirekow »

I would like to offer another suggestion: RSS feeds for topics. That eliminates the potential for people to abuse the email service, but still allows people who want to monitor a topic to do so passively. I did a quick google search and there appear to be a number of RSS mods for phpBB2 forums. Any thoughts on that?
cheshirekow

Post by cheshirekow »

Actually, on that note, here is an intermediate option: Yahoo pipes. I took a pipe someone made for another phpBB forum and swapped out the address. These provide an RSS feed of new topics in each of the forums. Here are the RSS feeds for the forums I'm interested in:

Beginners Help

Advanced Help

Code Snippets

And so on. Just change the "forumid" part of the URL to get the forum you want. I'm going to try to find a yahoo pipe that will scrape topics as well. I will update if I find it.
cheshirekow

Post by cheshirekow »

Alright guys, here's a yahoo pipe that will scrape a topic and display the most recent posts as an RSS feed. This link is for this particular topic.

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ ... icid=34322

If you want to watch another topic, just change the last parameter where it says "topicid=" to the topic id. If the topic you want to watch has a p= in the URL (as in you want to watch a particular post within a topic), just change the "prefix=" part to 'p'.

Is there any way we can get a link to this added to the top of each topic/post?

P.S. let me know if you see any problems with the pipe, I've only really tested it on a couple of topics/posts so far.