How to develop game from step one

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bhbtti

How to develop game from step one

Post by bhbtti »

do i start developing gui Main Menu or what
if so i need help getting started with that
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

You start with the planning. And then comes the game.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Bear_130278

Post by Bear_130278 »

For sure, you start not with asking this on the Forum 8)
Do you like VODKA???
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

You start by writing small games. Like number guessing, Yahtzee. Then you write little larger game (Snake, Pacman). Then you write a little larger game (Jump 'n Run). Etc...
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Scissors Paper Stone game is good for beginners too. I did that as my first game. 8)
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

The first thing you do is plan the game so while making it you dont get stuck on it and need to rewrite,etc
But there is no real way of starting a game, your the programmer so you program and decide whats coming first :)
Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

I would say it depends on ur skill lvl, if ur new to c++ then learn and experiment with it ie create small games.

But if u know ur stuff then i would suggest planning ie firstly write down wat ur going to need such as animations, models. levels etc.

Once ur hav resources to create the game ie models etc then i would suggest lookin though irrlicht and gettin used to it then actaully startin the code.

Just my thought hope it helps.
Ravi08

Post by Ravi08 »

Lil Margin wrote: But there is no real way of starting a game, your the programmer so you program and decide whats coming first :)
I also strongly agree with this, start the game how u want to start not how others want u to start it.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

I also strongly agree with this, start the game how u want to start not how others want u to start it.
But there is no real way of starting a game, your the programmer so you program and decide whats coming first
yea i agree, ignore good logic and reasoning and start at the end of the project!

Or, you could bypass all the important things that games need and just do the fun stuff, then you dont need to worry. Or, you can...

Yea the point has been made, there are MILLLLLLLLLLLLLIONS of articles online (especially over on gamedev.net) about how to goa bout a good game design. once you see how to design a game, i suppose thats a good start to understanding what order things can be made.

Theres reasons people succeed and reasons people fail, rather listen to the ones succeeding (ie : research for yourself) and the ones who have actually been there and done that (and who dont code like space pirates with a hammer) and learn from others examples.

Also, suggest ideas to the community and we will help with what experience and knowledge we can offer (again research this before just blindly believing someone with a high post count) etc etc.

A good place to start is normally the design , and then the prototype. Make it fun first, and then make the rest. (imo)
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

Ravi08 wrote:
Lil Margin wrote: But there is no real way of starting a game, your the programmer so you program and decide whats coming first :)
x2

Also, I reccomend planning every major part of your game before you program anything. This prevents ugly coding to "just make it work"
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
bhbtti

Post by bhbtti »

i have a game doc ready but i would like to know whats the first thing to program
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

Well start with a basic framework.. Entity system and GameState manager. build off of that.
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
bhbtti

Post by bhbtti »

how do i start a basic framework or where do i get it
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

Jesus man.. look how about this.. ill make your game then.. you can claim it to be yours... Look your clearly not ready to make a game im being the nicest i can but in all honesty.. Google.
http://wild.deathtouchstudios.com << My gamedev blog
<Programming is a way of life>
If at first you don't succeed press the delete key till you do :)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

You could always start by reading some code to a 2D game written in C++.
Try my Jetpac game
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room