[READ] General Thoughts on MMO Development – Part 1

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
ariejan

[READ] General Thoughts on MMO Development – Part 1

Post by ariejan »

Hey, I just wrote an article about general MMO considerations. I find a lot of people on these forums writing MMO's, so please send them all here. :-)

http://blog.forsakenlabs.com/2009/08/05 ... nt-part-1/
ariejan

Post by ariejan »

As a reply, feel free to comment on the article :-)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

After the game is released you need to get players to play your game, and then keep them playing. If you succeed at this, over time, you’ll earn back your initial development cost, and everything after that (minus the cost for maintaining your server) is profit.
I see... so you plan to fire all developers as soon as the game is released to save costs? ;-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
ariejan

Post by ariejan »

CuteAlien wrote:
After the game is released you need to get players to play your game, and then keep them playing. If you succeed at this, over time, you’ll earn back your initial development cost, and everything after that (minus the cost for maintaining your server) is profit.
I see... so you plan to fire all developers as soon as the game is released to save costs? ;-)
No, no. But during production you ramp up the number of programmers and artists. After production, their number decreases and you probably need more support people.

Firing your developers for a small company is generally not a good idea. But in bigger corps. you might assign them to different projects.
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

Firing your developers for a small company is generally not a good idea
Not a good idea but firing 1 developer is better then let the project die...

and on-topic : MMO isn't something you will want to do...unless your hoping to make some money or want to spent some money on servers for fun :)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Indeed. MMO need money like mad. Something much people don't have. That's also another reason why are they so hard to develop, is, in some sort, like the "Everest" of gaming.

It is an interesting article.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
ariejan

Post by ariejan »

Just like B-Movies, I think it's possible to create a B-MMO (instead of the AAA MMO's we're used to). You need to have clear goals and work from there.