shadows stopped working in OpenGL...

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

shadows stopped working in OpenGL...

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

I recently noticed that my shadows stopped working in my game for no reason. I didn't change any settings I can think of that would affect it but everything is lit up equally bright now. But if I switch to the DirectX renderer (I'm using OpenGL) then shadows do appear just fine like they used to with the OpenGL renderer, and everything is not lit up equally bright. Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, I've never had OpenGL shadows in Irrlicht. :) [Someone sent in code for this, but I had no time yet to built it in]. But I've had similar strange problems with my OpenGL driver: It seems to work worse every time I start it up. It helps to reboot the PC. I think it must be a problem in the driver. (The real driver, from nvidia or whatever.)
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Well I'm don't mean dynamic shadows, in my test program I have a sun and 2 planets and the planets used to have dark sides away from the sun. But now they are lit up equally all the way around. If I decrease the radius of the light then they get darker, but it's an equal decrease of light all the way around the planet. And I am using the same Nvidia 44.03 driver as I always had. I tried the new 45.23 but it gave me much lower 3D Mark scores, so I reinstalled the 44.03's again. I wonder if thats when it stopped working, back when I changed drivers??? hmmm... I'm gonna test it on a few other computers and see what happens when I use the OpenGL renderer.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

You're right, the lighting seems to be a little bit different in the OGL and D3D driver. Hearsedriver found it out in another forum. Will try to fix that.
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

FYI, I checked out the dynamic shadows and they don't work in OpenGL either... :cry: