LOVE (Video Game) and VERSE

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
DtD

LOVE (Video Game) and VERSE

Post by DtD »

My friend pointed out this very interesting (not yet released game) called LOVE http://www.quelsolaar.com/ it is a MMORPG with modifiable environments, and such. However, the very interesting part is VERSE.
Verse is a network standard that a allows graphics applications to share data in real-time. It means that two or more independent applications can share the same data. If you make a change in one you immediately see the change in the other. It is a free and open source system that can be integrated in to any graphics application to allow them to share data. You can collaborate with other users over the Internet, use it for content pipe-lining, games, VR, simulation and much much more.
The website is http://www.quelsolaar.com/
The buttons along the top-right navigate the guy's diffrent projects. He has his own 3D modeling program, and an automatic UV unwrapper (that actually seems to work pretty good, see http://iloapp.quelsolaar.com/blog/news?Home&post=44 )

Anyway, I posted this here because I thought y'all might find it interesting. I thought a VERSE-Irrlicht bridge (IrrVERSE?) might be an interesting idea some day. The only thing I don't like about the guy is that he is really anti-C++, says it is slow or something in his blog.

~DtD
Also, so nobody wastes time like I did: There is no way to get objects out of VERSE AFAIK, it is meant to be self-contained, and the automatic UV mapper does not save UVs, it is just a tech demo right now. You might get models exported out of his 3D modeler if you use the Blender<>VERSE bridge, but I never got it to work.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Looks interesting, however-
VERSE wrote:All geometry in Verse is stored in Subdivision surface format. These Subdivision surfaces can be used as normal polygons, but they can also enable you to use sophisticated automatic LOD tools.
Damn! We can't use Irrlicht's array of mesh loaders to get things into VERSE format, the data has to come from a subdivision modeler :(
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Felyza

Post by Felyza »

http://verse.blender.org/

To quote their site...

Subdivision surfaces provides a versatile geometric primitive that is compatible with NURBS, Beziers, and polygons. The shader tree coupled with high dynamic range textures provides a powerful way of defining surface characteristics.

As per language, I'll quote from their makefile...

Code: Select all

CC	?= gcc
CFLAGS	?= "-I$(shell pwd)" -Wall -Wpointer-arith -ansi -g # -pg -O2 -finline-functions
LDFLAGS	?= -pg
Nothing given for windows builds... and the out file (yes there is one in the cvs snapshot) is not a windows binary
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

:shock: wow verse what happens in the user screen appears on the other one is that the super technology of all games of mmo about millions of mmo games are out there with same principle what's new!!? just because changes in geometrical polygons!!?
so what!?
i was surprised to find bitplane replying on this
it is like one posting saying:"hey guys i discovered sth new called yari , yari technology lets any change in the text of user screen appear and at the same time on the other screen wow!! and even in 20 years after yari technology advances we can use it as a chat messenger !!"
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

omar shaaban wrote:so what!?
MMOs typically have characters moving around, while this is client/server technology which allows multiple modelers to actually edit the same mesh over the Internet, from within their favourite software.
By the look of it, it should be possible for one user to edit in Maya while another uses Blender and a third adds textures in Photoshop, in realtime. That's not worthy of a comment?
lulzfish

Post by lulzfish »

bitplane wrote:
omar shaaban wrote:so what!?
MMOs typically have characters moving around, while this is client/server technology which allows multiple modelers to actually edit the same mesh over the Internet, from within their favourite software.
By the look of it, it should be possible for one user to edit in Maya while another uses Blender and a third adds textures in Photoshop, in realtime. That's not worthy of a comment?
So this is going to work flawlessly between two closed-source programs, and an open one, while providing all the synchronization and networking code to connect them and translate between the internal data structures they each use?

This must be magic. Or hype.
Is the somber dream of the Grim Reaper a shade Darker Than Black?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I think it handles the mesh format and the network synchronization, the updates are done via plugins. I agree that it does seem rather far fetched, but I see no reason why it would be impossible
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

kickass feature to have id say.
P1SQ4M

Post by P1SQ4M »

Asteroids in the map editor is fun too!