Word game

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Word game

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Yeah, that's the title. Not original I know :)
This game is still in development, so the graphics and sounds are still a bit lacking.

Goal of the game:
Get enough points to go on to the next level

Directions:
Begin by choosing a difficulty and word length.
When playing, click on the letter tiles and then submit to submit a word. If you find a word with the length you asked for in the beginning, you get bonus points!

I'd recommend doing between 5-8 letter words. Anything above that is kinda difficult :)

Download here
jpoag

Post by jpoag »

Ok, so a little bit of feedback. I'm ignoring the graphics (as you said to do) but I'm worried that your using a lot of screen real estate. Games like this fit in the 'casual' genre, where people will play this game in windowed mode while replying to IMs in the background (or using an online scrabble utility to cheat).

Also, (keeping in mind it's a WIP), I'd consider this more of a game mechanic that an actual game. I'm not saying to go out and write an adventure story, but you need some sort of motive to play the game.

You also need some feedback mechanisms. Ever wonder why Word Whomp uses empty sign posts to show all the possible words? It gives the player a visual feedback for progress.

I guess I could go all day making suggests and giving feedback, but the best feedback I could give is to recommend this book:
http://artofgamedesign.com/

At least buy the book and if you're really into making games, spring for the cards. The cards are a great way to index back into the book for later reference.
-James
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Hey, thanks for your feedback :) I probably should take a look at that game design book. As you can see, programming is my forte, not layout or graphics :lol: But thanks for your criticism, it's very useful

EDIT: I was thinking, what if I gave a certain amount of blanks (say anywhere from 3-7 for a seven letter word) and the person had to come up with a word of that length? Then after they got it, it would give another set of blanks that they had to aim for. Would this be good for more of a challenge/motivation?
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

Nice, i like the wood style 8)
jpoag

Post by jpoag »

Lonesome Ducky wrote:Hey, thanks for your feedback :) I probably should take a look at that game design book. As you can see, programming is my forte, not layout or graphics :lol: But thanks for your criticism, it's very useful

EDIT: I was thinking, what if I gave a certain amount of blanks (say anywhere from 3-7 for a seven letter word) and the person had to come up with a word of that length? Then after they got it, it would give another set of blanks that they had to aim for. Would this be good for more of a challenge/motivation?
Yeah, that's a great start. Think of that as an immediate goal that motivates the player. There are all sorts of goal layers, the macro goal (name on high score list, save the princess, etc..) to the stage goal (a boss battle [not for this game]) to the level goal (all the words that are possible from the combinations) to the immediate goal (the specific word they are shooting for).

I meant to link you to Word Whomp Dash. I'm not saying you should clone the game, but look to it for inspiration.

The macro goal of Word Whomp Dash is to get your high score above your friends. The stage goal is to get your car as far as it will go. The level goal is to fill in all the possible word combinations and the immediate goal is to create a word of desired length (the player chooses a slot they're aiming for) to fill the gas gauge.

Word Whomp Dash (or Derby as it is now called) uses a gas tank as a feedback mechanism for how much time the player has left. The gas gauge is a natural themed element that fits the overall theme of 'derby' and 'cars'. Plus it has the added benefit of being more flexible than a clock.

See, a clock drains at exactly 1 second intervals. A clock is a natural object: You can't really mess with how fast a clock counts down without frustrating the player. However, the progress bar can drain as fast or as slow as you want, it's an abstract concept. Slower in early levels, faster in later ones.

You could add seconds to a clock (this isn't beyond the realm of 'natural clock') but you can also add to a draining progress meter. It's a great visual feedback mechanism: "I created a word and it filled that draining progress meter...I'd better do it again before the meter runs out."

Plus, a progress meter has the added benefit of the question: What happens when I reach the top of the meter? If something great happens, then I'm going to try and make that great thing happen again. (Another driving goal). Clocks are infinite: there's no 'top of the clock'.

I guess another way to look at it is that your clock (as it is now) is a negative feedback device. Negative is not bad, you need negative to balance positive. Your word list is your positive feedback device. The length of the list is fixed, but the number of possible words is variable (which is great too, see experience curves in that book I suggested). The question is: How do I know how well I'm doing?
-James
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Back to the drawing board then! Thank you for your feed back jpoag, it's helped a lot. Here's a list of things I plan on changing:

1. Change resolution to 640x480 (or 800x600)
2. Use a glossy interface (just basic colors to make it easier for me to do)
3. Give more motivation to the player (through what I said above and certainly something to come later :) )

Hopefully I'll have an update on this in a week or so. Down sizing the resolution won't work well with the code I have now, so I'll have to start from scratch. Although some can be salvaged, so it's not completely from scratch. :D