Project setup to compile and debug game and Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
davex

Project setup to compile and debug game and Irrlicht

Post by davex »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Visual Studio Express 2008 project where I can code/debug my project and when I run into problems step into methods in the Irrlicht source (when I'm debugging). This seems to be possible for the example projects but when I try and set up my own solution with the Irrlicht source in one project and my game in another (like in the examples solution) it will not let me step into the functions/methods. Then I tried adding a new project to the examples solution but that didn't work either.

Does anyone know how to get this to work?

All help much appreciated,

Dave
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

It should work like you did.
Are you sure that you don't link with a different Irrlicht version (i.e. some version that is in your global include/lib folders)?
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
davex

Post by davex »

Thanks for the fast reply :D

Still having the same problem though. I went though my system and deleted anything related to Irrlicht, downloaded it again and then went through the following steps.

1) Unzip Irrlicht into the root of c:\
2) Create a new solution for the game and in it a project for it.
3) Create a cpp file inside the game project called "main.cpp"
4) Copy the text from the Hello World example into the main.cpp file inside the game project.
5) Add the Irrlicht project to the solution "C:\irrlicht-1.5.1\source\Irrlicht\Irrlicht9.0.vcproj"
6) Add the line "C:\irrlicht-1.5.1\include" into the game projects properties under Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Additional Include Directories
7) Add the line "C:\irrlicht-1.5.1\lib\Win32-visualstudio" into the game projects properties under Configuration Properties -> Additional Library Directories

When debugging I can step into header files but not into the source files. Any idea how I make it aware of the source files?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Did you wait long enough that the update counter on the last line of MSVC stops to update the debug data base? It might also help to recreate all projects (i.e. Irrlicht as well) from scratch, and to delete the pdb file when MSVC is not running. But I know these problems as well, also jumping to methods or searching for occurences of a keyword do not work in all cases for me.
JP

Post by JP »

You'll need to compile a debug version of the Irrlicht library to be able to do that I should think!
Image Image Image
davex

Post by davex »

Right, I wasn't able to work out what I was doing wrong, so I just made a copy of the examples sln and modified it. Fixed the problem but didn't really solve the problem unfortunately :(

Anyway, thanks for the help :)